1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can the Ashdown MAG300H power both Avatar Neo B212 & B210 CABs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve66, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Hi Amp Gurus,

I am not the best at head/cabinet combinations. I am hoping someone has this setup. After seaching through the forums, I kept on hearing good things in ashdown and avatar. My budget will allow me this setup. I was wondering if the Ashdown MAG300H can power both Avatar Neo B212 & B210 CABs. I know the 8 ohm cabs can handle the amp, but will the amp be sufficient in terms of power? This will be for a home studio/ occasional small gig and also to be used to power my Roland V-Drums. I enjoy Rock, Jazz and Slap/Funk. I currently play a (Active) Schecter 4 Custom and a (Passive) P-Bass through a Fender Rumble 15.

Any other recommendations? Thoughts, Pros & Cons
    My budget is 1,000.00 US

Thanks

2. I don't have that setup, but...

The real kicker is whether or not a 300 watt amp is sufficient for you. It sounds like from your description it is, but only you can judge that.

You might actually find that both those cabs are unnecessary - just the 210 or 212 might be all you need.

Although the MAG will not output its full power into 1 8 ohm cab, the additional power output from adding a cab will make a very small difference in volume. Doubling power only gives you +3db, so going from 200-something watts with 1 cab to 307 with 2 probably won't make much difference.

In addition the wise men say amps do not sound their best when driven to maximum power output.

3. Thanks for the reply.

I was going to go with only the 212 but decided on the 210 also. I suspect that the 210 cab will help not in terms of power but for the highs needed for the V drums. Eventually I can upgrade the ashdown head with one that provides more raw power and not worry about changing the cabs. But for now 300 watts should do fine for me.