1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can the clipping Light on an amp head break?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Youngspanion, May 18, 2011.

1. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I don't think the light is broke but the blue clipping light on my LMII head comes on only when my Gain is set to very high. It used to come on when I set the gain at 12 or 1 o'clock and the bass set full up.

Should I be concerned?

Do different speakers affect the light?

2. I'm not an electronics guru, but I think it depends where it is in the circuit as to what controls affect it. But I would expect it to be in the preamp somewhere, so I can't see why a different speaker would directy affect it (though a different speaker will affect the load on your power amp).

If you have changed basses, changed bass setup, added pedals, or changed EQ, they could all affect when the amp clips. Also a dud cable could be sending less signal to the amp.

3. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    That is a Pre amp clip indicator. Run it back a little past where the clip lite comes on to give some headroom and leave it. Then turn up the master a little instead. If your bass is active you have to run it lower since you dont have a high and low gain inputs. If you boost anything on the bass controls you will have to turn it down even more. It will clean up your signal some too.

4. How does that amp deal with clipping besides turning a light on? Some amps I have used start to compress when clipping. With amps like that I like to sit just at the point of clipping to get the compression.

5. Battery dying in bass preamp perhaps?

6. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    its a solid state pre, analog power amp.

There is no compression circuit in it. So you wont get compression by overdriving it like a tube circuit.
    you will just get distortion and solid state distortion is really not musical IMO.

Dialing too much EQ on the amp will also add gain to pre amp level........better to cut the bad freqs instead of boosting the ones you want. It will give more headroom.

How I described to set the proper pre level is pretty much word for word in the manual and the same for most pre amps.
    (this is why sound guys like a DI box instead, If you are slamming the pre and using the DI on the amp, you are slamming the mixer pre and getting distortion in the PA and the sound guy can do nothing about it, you can turn down the mixer pre but your still getting distortion)

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    this is why i almost always ignore the lights. what do your ears tell you? if it sounds good to you, then it's fine.

8. Agree about the musicality of natural solid state distortion and the value of headroom.

Accept your advice about this amp.

Have played a lot of amps designed to add colour to bass sounds. Whether I want that or a clean di signal depends on the context.

It's not unknown to mike bass amps. Or in the small gigs I do nowadays for the bass amp to be the entire sound. Whatever you do has to be done working with the sound guy but a clean di feed is not always best.

9. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    I was not comparing mic'ing option to DI.
    I was stating IF I were to choose a direct signal why I prefer a DI box off the bass vice DI on an amp that has the potential for operator error effecting the send.

And I said solid state distortion is NOT usually that great or musical IMO. That's why tubes are still used.

10. Not sure if we disagree.
    Solid state distortion can be harsh. But it can be nice. For small gigs I use a Roland Cube with amp modeling and for larger gigs I often use a sansamp. In both cases I want the preamp as part of the sound so that affects where I send the signal from.

Your strategy maximizes the chance of distortion free signal which is fine if you are happy with the gear at the desk for shaping the bass sound.