Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can the MXR m80 be used to drive a poweramp like the sabbdi can?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jun 12, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Can the MXR m80 be used to drive a poweramp like the sabbdi can?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yes it can and just like the SansAmp, output signal is a little weak to properly drive a power amp.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    the signal is weak even using the xlr out? i emailed tech 21 they told me how to do a mod that will boost the output of the sabddi. however, my issue is that i need control over my mids which the sabddi doesnt easily allow for unless you fiddle with both the bass and high eq knobs.

i guess i should just keep my Fishman pro platinum which has everything i want (except drive) AND get the mxr.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Maybe an overdrive pedal would be a better idea then ?

5. AFAIK both the M80 and SABBBDIDIII (or whatever acronym is being used for it today!) only provide an unbalanced line out, and a balanced (DI) line out, not a hot preamp signal. I'd say my Sansamp TRI-AC is in the same boat as well.

Makes sense though, most FX if placed after the M80/SABDI would go nuts if fed with a preamp-level signal - you'd distort if not blow the input section of the effect.

6. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada

I talked to Lloyd Schwartz at Tech 21. He said the newer models have a switch that can be selected to drive a poweramp, as long as the poweramp doesnt require a huge input signal.
    this is part of his email:

0dB is fine... that's what the newer (switchable) Bass Driver delivers, or the older one (after you've done the mod).

So i guess the mxr cant be used to drive a poweramp, as there is no mod that can be done. I guess i could email mxr too! :smug:

7. There's ALWAYS a mod that can be done! Maybe feed the output into a op-amp to boost the gain, then a separate output (or put a switch across the main output so that you can select normal or gain-boosted). You could fit that kinda daughterboard into the M80 if you don't need to run a 9v battery.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If I were you, I'd get the ParaDriver DI. It has a semi-parametric mid plus the drive control. Perfect.

[​IMG]

9. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Thanks for your suggestion Munjibunga.

However, that unit will cost me alot more. I have to do this on the cheap as I am way over budget for bass gear. I think i will keep the Fishman Pro Platinum as it has alot of useful features including a 5 band eq designed for bass.

Keep in mind I dont have a "proper" preamp so I want whatever I use to have as many features as possible.What i think I will do is buy a used sabddi AND use the fishman. Both pedals combined should give me tons of features.

Also, if i dont like the sabddi i can probably sell it close to what i paid. That wouldnt happen with a new pedal.

I want to use a sabddi because the fishman is sort of sterile sounding and i want to try a pedal that will not only allow me to add warmth but just allow me to experiment with o/d, distortion etc. I am still new-ish to the bass gear world so I havent tried much out in the way of pedals. Well, i had the behringer v-amp, but i didnt like it.

so anyone have a sabddi they would like to sell? :cool:

10. When I've used my Behringer Active DI, it totally overwhelms the PA board unless I hit one of the attenuation switches....

If you put your MXR of SABBBDDDIIII in front of that, will you get enough clean boost to drive a power amp? Really clean volume boost for $30. In my experience, a cranked up Sanpamp is a hiss factory.