1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can the MXR m80 be used to drive a poweramp like the sabbdi can?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jun 12, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Can the MXR m80 be used to drive a poweramp like the sabbdi can?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yes it can and just like the SansAmp, output signal is a little weak to properly drive a power amp.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    the signal is weak even using the xlr out? i emailed tech 21 they told me how to do a mod that will boost the output of the sabddi. however, my issue is that i need control over my mids which the sabddi doesnt easily allow for unless you fiddle with both the bass and high eq knobs.

i guess i should just keep my Fishman pro platinum which has everything i want (except drive) AND get the mxr.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Maybe an overdrive pedal would be a better idea then ?

5. AFAIK both the M80 and SABBBDIDIII (or whatever acronym is being used for it today!) only provide an unbalanced line out, and a balanced (DI) line out, not a hot preamp signal. I'd say my Sansamp TRI-AC is in the same boat as well.

Makes sense though, most FX if placed after the M80/SABDI would go nuts if fed with a preamp-level signal - you'd distort if not blow the input section of the effect.

6. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada

I talked to Lloyd Schwartz at Tech 21. He said the newer models have a switch that can be selected to drive a poweramp, as long as the poweramp doesnt require a huge input signal.
    this is part of his email:

0dB is fine... that's what the newer (switchable) Bass Driver delivers, or the older one (after you've done the mod).

So i guess the mxr cant be used to drive a poweramp, as there is no mod that can be done. I guess i could email mxr too! :smug:

7. There's ALWAYS a mod that can be done! Maybe feed the output into a op-amp to boost the gain, then a separate output (or put a switch across the main output so that you can select normal or gain-boosted). You could fit that kinda daughterboard into the M80 if you don't need to run a 9v battery.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If I were you, I'd get the ParaDriver DI. It has a semi-parametric mid plus the drive control. Perfect.

[​IMG]

9. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Thanks for your suggestion Munjibunga.

However, that unit will cost me alot more. I have to do this on the cheap as I am way over budget for bass gear. I think i will keep the Fishman Pro Platinum as it has alot of useful features including a 5 band eq designed for bass.

Keep in mind I dont have a "proper" preamp so I want whatever I use to have as many features as possible.What i think I will do is buy a used sabddi AND use the fishman. Both pedals combined should give me tons of features.

Also, if i dont like the sabddi i can probably sell it close to what i paid. That wouldnt happen with a new pedal.

I want to use a sabddi because the fishman is sort of sterile sounding and i want to try a pedal that will not only allow me to add warmth but just allow me to experiment with o/d, distortion etc. I am still new-ish to the bass gear world so I havent tried much out in the way of pedals. Well, i had the behringer v-amp, but i didnt like it.

so anyone have a sabddi they would like to sell? :cool:

10. When I've used my Behringer Active DI, it totally overwhelms the PA board unless I hit one of the attenuation switches....

If you put your MXR of SABBBDDDIIII in front of that, will you get enough clean boost to drive a power amp? Really clean volume boost for $30. In my experience, a cranked up Sanpamp is a hiss factory.