1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can the OLC Flipster get close to this?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassboysam, May 15, 2011.

1. someone must have some experience with this..

2. I will build a Flipster soon. Will post a review for you.

3. Nimu

Nimu

Jul 20, 2011
    i think a "regular" flipster has to less headroom. but it should be possible to get close to this sound if either the flipster is running on 18v or some of the fets are replaced by cleaner ones ( f. e. 2N5457 )

4. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, it'll do that. Bass and treble maxed, volume at about 1 o'clock and master as you need it. Sounds like a P bass, but I got pretty close with my Warwick Corvette with the neck pup solo'd.

5. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I had a Flipster for a while and I would say yes.

6. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Well I have Paganjack's Flipster and I would also say yes.
    Sounds like a jazz bass to me. The Flipster is capable of a lot of highs and lows and organic overdrive type tone.

7. I'm fairly certain it's a P-bass, but I think i may just have to give the Flipster a try sometime...

8. Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Yep you are right it's a P-bass. It's by itself 6 minutes into the song or so; I had only heard the begening of the song.
    What's the enveloppe filter? A Mutron III?

9. omie

omie Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Arizona
    This album was released before the mutton III, probably a wah-wah.

10. I had a filpster for ages, should never have sold it! I think it will definitely nail that tone. And alot more.

11. Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    You are 100% right, the Mutron III did not come out until spring of 72. Most likely a Vox Wah.

12. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Yeah, the Flipster does that. It is really good at that old tube amp overdrive. I sold mine and later got a Sunn head, and the first time I cranked it up I was like "hey, that sounds like the Flipster!"