1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can the push pull knob on the Rickenbacker 4003, make the tone of a model 4001?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Blake the Bassist, Mar 30, 2015.

  1. Blake the Bassist

    Blake the Bassist

    Mar 30, 2015
    I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, i like the model 4003 and the model 4001, but if the model 4003 can sound like a model 4001, then its like a two in one deal.
  2. jamro217

    jamro217 Supporting Member

    Hello and welcome to TB. The differences between the 4001 and 4003 are structural regarding the truss rods, electronically speaking they're the same. The 4001 tone you're seeking is most likely the trebly "Clank" sound associated with Rics in general. This is due to a .0047 tone cap which bleeds the bass out of the bridge pickup. Early 4003's had this cap, then Ric stopped using them for some years. They brought it back by popular demand with a push/pull pot a few years ago. By engaging the cap the sound should be very close to that of a 4001. Bear in mind that no two basses sound exactly the same, much less a whole line, but this is as close as you're going to get. Hope this helps.
  3. the short answer is yes
    Garret Graves likes this.
  4. Toni-Louise Dillon

    Toni-Louise Dillon

    May 14, 2015
    Will it work the other way round, giving my bridge pickup on my '79 4001 more of a modern sound???
  5. Not unless you install the 4003 wiring harness in the 4001 (or extricate that capacitor). But if you do, then, yes.
  6. Toni-Louise Dillon

    Toni-Louise Dillon

    May 14, 2015
    Thank you

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.