1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

can the Squier headstock "tell" you anything?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mtandrews, Aug 21, 2012.

1. I noticed that the headstock on 2 of my Squier Affinity's are different. One has large tuners and the "paddles" stick further out and away from the head itself while the other has rather smallish tuners and the paddles legs are shorter bringing the paddles closer to the head. I don't know, maybe one's older than the other or whatnots don't know, I'm just curious. Picture added...

squier headstocks.

2. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    One is special.

3. :smug:

the "special" part is that it has the P and the J pickup instead of the stand alone P.

4. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I know, I just couldn't resist! :D

Anyways, what are the serial numbers? Older versions have shorter paddles, newer ones are longer. However, this is not always true on all models. Longer paddles seem to run more commonly on the Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified models. Affinities, from experience, have had shorter paddles (which is why some refer to them as "cheap" - that and some can't hold a tuning worth a salt-lick). That's about all I can run by you. Had way too many Squier in the past, the Specials (discontinued :crying:) were, in my opinion, great little basses for the price.

Also, I'm actually interested in how your Special is an Affinity series. Last time I remember when they were still in production, they were under the Standard line.

Cheers.

5. I like turtles

6. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I like carrots myself....:D

As to the Squier tuners, if they move when you want them to and stay in tune, they will do the job. That said I am a big fan of the better tuners with the Fender like paddles and open gears. I am not a fan of the smaller closed tuners. But this would not stop me from buying a bass. Tuners are easy enough to change out...

:bassist:

7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    If it says Squier made in Japan on the headstock you really have somethnig....just sayin.

8. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    I've not experienced my Squier headstock telling me anything, I will say that if yours has been or you even think it may start you may want to contact a therapist.

Now that I think about it though, I wonder what they would say if they could?
    Would they talk bass?
    Maybe music in general?
    I wonder if they have any inferiority complex issues being almost Fenders and all? Or are they content on being proud of who they are?

Ooohhh, the questions I'd ask if my Squier's headstock could tell me something.

Figuratively though, if your meaning can you tell anything from comparing them, yes.

If your looking at the one with smaller tuners you can tell the other one does not have smaller tuners.
    One would be safe to assume they are in fact bigger tuners on the other one.

Sorry, I had to take my stab at being overly literal minded.

9. EighthNotes

EighthNotes

Feb 12, 2007
    The one in the back (older Affinity), is meant to look like a 70's Strat/Tele thinline headstock like the Affinity guitars.

10. If you look at the pic you can see the Special is an Affinity as is another Black Special I have and both have big (open) tuners on them. I have (had...) two P's and the one I kept has small (closed) tuners and the one I sold IIRC had big tuners like the Specials.
    No SN on the Special head (custom neck plate) but the P has CY90400413 on the back of the head. My Black Special (not pictured) has YN763213 on the neck plate.

11. no problem with either staying in tune, just was wondering why one was one way and one another. Maybe there is no rhyme or reason, but you don't know if you don't ask... ;-)

12. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    .. well, this one is really tasking my memory, because there weren't a lot of them ...

... in the later 90's, probably 97-98 range, Affinity's were coming out of China ... and as I said, there were not a lot made, but in that time frame I believe they offered a P-Bass Special, made in China, with Affinity on the headstock, but using some of the components of the Standard line ... these should actually be fairly well built basses, as it definitely was intended to be 'special', not just adding a J bridge pup ... the pic does look very similar to the only other one I have seen ... and yes, we are more familiar with the Squier P-Bass Specials being a part of the Standard line, and produced in Indonesia ... but I believe that these would have preceded them, and then Squier decided to offer the package on their 'higher line' of Squier Standards, which we are more familiar with ...

... an alternative thought, is that I have seen a few basses offered on Ebay with a Squier Standard Series P-bass Special body, and an Affinity neck attached ... the OP pic does not look like this is the case here however ...my thought is that this is a China made Affinity P Spec from the 97-98 range ... the script style of the word Fender, in conjunction with no plastic insert in the truss rod opening along with the substantial tuners, and the aged tinting is leading me to think it is from that time frame ... JMHO

13. sooo... there may be something half-assed special about these two Specials?