Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can there ever be another X-Wire??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mario Lewis, May 20, 2002.

1. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I'm a wireless addict. I once had an X-Wire, but I sold it to get some other gear. Now I miss it. They are rare and hard to find. So then the Sennheiser folks bought the patent rights (or something like that) and they make the Digital 1000, which sucked :mad: and then they release the 1092GTR Digital 1000. I haven't heard any reviews of the new unit, but the coplaints of the Digital 1000 was that it squashed the tone. They might have bought the recipe, but their cookin' wasn't no where near Grandma's!!

So, what wireless units are you folks using that might compare or that give you the best clarity in the low end?

The Samson Concert IV is the ONE unit that I's accept as a sub, but lo and behold, that one too is in the archives as it is no longer in production.

What's a junkie to do to get his wireless fix???

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Stand still and deal.

j/k;)

Seeriously, I've found Mr. Microphone to be a nice solution... and affordable to boot.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Say what you will, but I like my Shure UT, $300 at Rik's. I had a Shure VHF unit, which blew goats. But the UHF works very bitchenly, with no dropouts or tone smashing. We're also using a Shure UT wireless SM-58, which likewise works perfectly.

4. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I feel your pain man. I went through a few different wireless systems (both UHF and "high end") before I found an X-Wire used; and snatched that sucker up faster than a Very Fast Thing from Fastland. All the other units I've ever tried have been reliable as far as signal goes, but they either compress your signal something fierce, roll off too high (like 100Hz) or a combination of both.

With a roll off frequency of 100Hz, generally everything below your A string 3rd fret 'C' sounds kinda weak. If you play a 5 string, forgetaboutit; the low B sounds completely weak.

My suggestion to you, scour the internet for a used one. :D

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Rolloff on the Shure UT is 20 hz.

6. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    I'm using a Shure UT too. As the digital ones are illegal here in the Netherlands, I think they are the next best thing out there. But I'm still looking for a better one as I still can hear a difference between cable and the wireless (and I like the cable sound better) It's not much but the cable sound is a bit more defined and tighter.

The thing I don't like about the Shure is that it's on a fixed frequency. Occasionaly I have to ask someone else to change their frequency because of interference. Our band uses 7 wireless systems on a gig!. (6 Sennheiser Evolutions and my Shure, I don't like the Sennheiser for bass).

7. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    The new Shure ULX series broadband wireless goes down to 25Hz and it sounds great, better then the more expensive UC Shure I was using before it got stolen....both of these wireless' are frequency agile(you can change the frequency).

-Chris

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have been using a Sennheiser evolution UHF wireless unit. Not sure what the frequency roll off is, but it sounds good, and that is what matters to me. I find it extremely difficult, next to impossible, to tell the difference between the wireless and using a cord.

9. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Folks rave about the X-Wire, but it seems that other manufacturers haven't picked up on the technology, I wonder why that is.

I use a Nady RW-3 which works quite well for me.