Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can these be used on a four string?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by instigata, Mar 18, 2006.

1. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
  2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Most likely, but you'll prolly have to do some routing.

And dang, those are expensive!

3. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    well barts or norides are like 100+ each, so it isnt that abd really.

4. I think I got my set of Barts for like 120.

5. Those are horrifyingly expensive, especially considering that you can get a pair of brand new DiMarzio Model Js for $90...

6. Soapbars are better than J style IMHO.And more expensive.

7. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    bart soapbars? and where from?

8. I recently picked up the J's online, but I remember when I was in a mom & pop shop a while back, they had the soapbars for about 10 bucks more.

9. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    well, bartolini has narrow buckers. jazz shape, but 2 coils. but theyre alittle weak for my tastes. i want big mean ones :)

10. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    They're quite good pickups but they are not soapbars. I have a set in one 5 string, and they are a split design like a P-Bass, but with the treble side closer to the neck for better tonal balance. They might work with a 4...there's just the slight break between halves; a 3+2 setup with the treble side being smaller. (PIc to show you what I mean)

Better than Bartolinis, if you ask me, but I have a Bart soapbar lying around that I'll sell ya if you want it.

Sheldon might also have a 4 string version...?

11. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey

ahh. i see. thats interesting. but aren't p's naturally humbucking? cos arent the two coils out of phase? that is interesting though. so those dingwalls have like, dual ps...

so i could get basically the same sound from 2 ps, and save cash...

hmmm..

12. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Yeah, each pup is individually humcancelling. Your issue is string alignment...your D string might fall on the "crack" between coils. Might also work tho. You would need precise measurements to know for sure.