Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can This Be Done? (boogiebass, Mad Subwoofer)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steven Green, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Can you run a db659 into the power section of a Mesa 400+? Would it sound like a 659db + db728? Whaddya think?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Yes, you could do it very easily. Simply plug in the preamp's output into the effects return of the Mesa.

As for sound, I am sure it would sound very good. Probably all the color and texture of Aguilar magnified by the all-tube powerstage.

Chas

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Sure, but it would not be an improvement, IMO.

The 400+ is one of the world's best sounding production all-tube bass amps as is. Altering its "synergy" with a different pre wouldn't accomplish anything unless you have a serious craving for something distinctly non-400+. In which case, get a solid state power amp and lighten your lift.

OTOH, if you've got the Aguilar on hand, why not plug it in and do an A/B. You can then decide if you want something different that what the 400+ gives you.

4. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I can't afford to get the db728 and and db659. But I figured that if I got a quality all-tube poweramp, like a Mesa Strategy 500, I would get pretty darn close. Then I figured, why not just get the 400+, then I could have two different sounds at my disposal and still have massive tube power.

I am seriously considering replacing my Mesa M-2000 just because the all-tube 400+ has awesome rock tone, cuts through and is much simpler to use or "plug & play" than my current amp. The M-2000 has so much stuff on it, sometimes I think..."hmmm, i'm not using that, or that, or that...why do I need this?"

I thought about the Aguilar setup, but it's so darned expensive...

Thanks for the replies y'all.

5. btw basis, call riksmusic, www.riksmusic.com. I called them earlier and their prices are phenominal.

6. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Thanks yo!

7. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    A friend who posts here says that when he tried an Alembic pre into the 400+, it was phenomenal! Better in his opinion than the Boogies pre! I'm gonna try it with the Aguilar, if I can...

8. You could use a DMC GCX MIDI rack switcher to go between the two preamps..or both at a time! Your Ground Control footpedal could setup any combo at the touch of a switch. i did this at one time with my M-2000, SWR IOD and PSA-1. Totally unnecasary of course, but I was young. The 400+ is the best amp I ever owned. It sounded deeper than my M-2000 but only at "4" or higher on the master. My M-2000 sounds the same at any volume. Plug into BOTH 400+ preamps at once for the best sound....

9. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    How do you do that?

10. Well, Boogiebass is right about that "synergy" thing but it's fun any way. The DMC GCX is an 8 loop, series rack switcher. I used to stick my stompboxes in there and call up MIDI presets w/ my MIDI "Ground control." You could just as well stick the 400+ preamp in one of the loops too. You would plug directly into the GCX and maybe stick another preamp in one of the loops so you could choose between whichever one you wanted, both or none at all. Kinda silly but what the hell. If you check out Digital Music Corporations website they will explain the product in detail, you'll get the idea. They make all that Voodoo Labs stuff too. Wicked box...sits in my closet now so go figure.

11. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I think he was asking how to run into both inputs...

Y-cable.

I'm currently using the Rick-O-sound on my 4001 to go into both. Neck-2, bridge-1. Sounds pretty gnarly. Haven't tried the Y-cable trick with a mono bass yet tho...

12. The finest bass tone I ever had (hindsight is 20/20..) was running parallel into both preamps, both pull shift knobs engaged, brights as well, the EQ basically flat. I just split the signal with a stompbox...I think it was my DOD Meatbox. What a tone. Stereo out of a Rick would be very cool as well..you can use FX if you like and keep one line clean which is also handy.

13. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Yeah I'm doing that too. Bridge PU goes thru effects, neck PU is clean.

BTW MadSW and boogiebass, if you're reading, I know we've talked about the 400+ before =>>

I've modded the preamp in my 400+ some - tweaked the tone stack values for some more mids and less lows (@~70Hz and under), insertion loss is also decreased as a side effect. Sounds REAL good now, running it flat with the bass boosted a hair (bass-2 mid-10 treb-0), best sound I've gotten yet, kinda SVT-ish if you will, but louder!

YMMV since I play a rick and love a full, low-middy ROCK sound.

14. Less lows?! Are you insane? :p Did you get any specs from Mesa to help you or did you just figure it out all yer lonesome? I would love to be able to change the value on my M2000's tube-side bass knob to have it set at 30hz, rather than 50hz. I always enjoyed the freq. points chosen by Mesa for its graphic EQ but on the M2000 they aren't quite as intuitive. If I could change either the preamp bass knob or the graphic slider (I think this would be the best candidate) to 30 hz....was it hard? You're convinced the preamp is based on the Fender model, correct? Is that where you figured this out?

15. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Rickenbackerman:

I'm sure your setup sounds amazing. I used to own a 4003 and regret selling it, but OTOH I love my current bass...a Lakland JO 4. Maybe someday I'll get another Rick!

I was referring to using both inputs on the 400+, not the switching system...

It looks like I may have a buyer for the M-2000, so now I'm not sure what I want to get...

a 400+

a db750

a db659 + PLX 2402 or DCM2000

or 400+ & db659

!!!

:D

16. How many times do you want to hear this...?! The 400+ is the finest tube amp I (and many others) have ever played through. It is just BUTT heavy with it's protective rack..which you will need.
    :D

17. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    MSW - yep, LESS lows. I'm running into two eden 410XLTs so I think that has a lot to do with it.
    Especially in a small-ish room, I had to use the eq to get rid of some bass, as it was 'completely' overwhelming.

About modding, well, I got schemos for the 400+ from Tim at boogie. Yes, the preamp for the 400+ is a mix of various fender designs, and the tone stack is straight up fender bassman. As for tweaking, download duncan amps tone stack simulator and see for yourself! You can see that flat is 0-10-0, and as you turn up the bass knob it's centered around 30-40 Hz. I changed two caps and the slope resistor... it's a bit more marshall-like now (without all the gain, of course).

I'll be back tomorrow arternoon if ya wanna talk more about all this...