1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can this EMG MM pickup be used in a passive bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MattS, May 21, 2012.

1. MattS

MattS

Jan 17, 2011
    Cheshire, CT
    I'm seriously considering putting one of these in a passive bass. Can that work? I'm not too knowledgable with pickups or wiring.

http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/355/37/2

I like the size, sound of MM's, and position in the sweet spot. Might fill in jazz pickup holes, and route a new hole for this pickup in a passive bass, then repaint the body.

All/any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
  3. MattS

MattS

Jan 17, 2011
    Cheshire, CT
    My plan is to fill in old pickup holes with wood/wood filler/sawdust/wood glue, then route a new hole for that EMG musicman pickup. knowmsayin.

4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    How are you defining "passive bass"? That pickup comes with a passive volume and tone control, but you will need to find space for a battery to power the pickup itself. (The battery clip is also included).

Mike

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I would think you could, obviously you know it won't fit the body without extensive routing.

My EBMM Stingray classic 2-band uses a passive pickup with an active pre-amp, I would think this pickup would still be passive as well. I am not 100% on this, somebody might have some more accurate information.

Worst case scenario, you are already routing the spit out of the body, why not route in a battery chamber?

6. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    This. That pickup requires a battery.

7. MattS

MattS

Jan 17, 2011
    Cheshire, CT
    This is what I would like and plan to do...

previous thread i started, seemed like a lot of people read it, but got no responses
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/bass-build-makeover-seeking-feedback-ideas-883402/#post12651573

I might just fill both holes and have just one fat MM pickup in the sweetspot. Also, would there be any issues with the width of the MM pickup? I believe the jazz pickups on there now are 105mm wide, and the MM pickup is 111.76mm wide.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Probably cheaper to just get a bass that already has Music Man type pickups, like a Sterling Music Man, Brubaker Brute, or MTD Artist.

9. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    For a passive build, you will need a passive pickup.

EMGs are not passive except for the HZ models.

10. MattS

MattS

Jan 17, 2011
    Cheshire, CT
    Neither of those basses have the other specs that I want that I previously listed.

- 34" scale
    - neck through
    - 24 frets

I'm basically trying to create my dream bass with the body/neck style, pickup(s), paint color that I want. I'm trying to sell my main bass which is an Ibanez SR1205 5 string, which I love and is in great condition, but I've had the same gear for 8+ years, and if I'm gonna dish out $ for another bass I might as well get what I want and this is as close to getting that as I can get. I figure it'd only cost me about $200 out of pocket to achieve this after I sell my other bass, which is not bad imo.

BTW... right now my bass for sale is on craigslist, but am considering selling it on here, only thing is, I'm not sure paying for that membership is worth it if a) i don't anticipate any more sales/purchases this year after this and b) can't say for sure where/when an instrument will sell. Though it does make a lot of sense to put a bass up for sale on a forum/place that is strictly bass player demographic. Any thoughts/advice/insight on that would be greatly appreciated as well.

thanks.

11. MattS

MattS

Jan 17, 2011
    Cheshire, CT
    Also, I thought most Musicman pickups were passive, but the musicmans onboard preamps were active. So if an active pickup is installed on a previously passive bass, alls I'd have to worry about is making sure I can fit the battery, right? no other guts or preamps necessary? is that correct?

12. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    That's right, Musicman pickups themselves are passive, and it's only the onboard preamp that makes the bass active.

Active pickups require a battery, but they don't require a preamp/EQ. The EMG pickup you're talking about will come with a volume, a passive tone control, a battery clip, and an output jack--pretty much everything you need. You just have to find space for everything on the bass.

13. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    If you are going to put one in the sweet spot, you probably don't have the fill the bridge pickup rout. One side of the pickup should like up with that. So you just have to make it larger.

14. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Sounds like you want a Carvin then.

But, I'd take a Brubaker bolt through over a neck through any day.

15. MattS

MattS

Jan 17, 2011
    Cheshire, CT
    I really appreciate everyone's feedback. This is great! I was also wondering, would I be able to keep that bridge jazz pickup to go with the EMG MM pickup eventhough the jazz pickup isn't using a battery? would I have to get a new/different jazz pickup in order to do that? using a blend knob/pot? Any advice on how that works with two different types of pickups? I normally keep both soapbars on on my other basses. I may keep that bridge jazz if I can figure it out right, or I might just make it just 1 MM pickup, some of this will probably depend on sizing/placement but I won't know til i have all the stuff I need in hand on my work bench.

I hear what you're saying, and it would be awesome if I didn't have to fill then route, but i think the MM pickup would be more centered than I'd like as I'd want the MM to be a little closer to the bridge than to the neck.

16. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Hmm, I never tried mixing active (EMG) pickups with passive pickups on the same bass. But since the EMG goes through passive volume and tone controls IMHO it should work. You would need to add in either a blend or a second volume pot for the other pickup.
    The EMG will still need the battery and if your other pickup is passive (most likely it is), it will NOT need a battery.

But then you'll probably have an issue with matching the output levels. An active EMG pickup could very well overpower the passive Jazz pickup and it'll probably make things a little harder when it comes to balancing the sound. Not impossible, just a bit harder.

17. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    You can't mix active and passive pickups. The EMG will load down the passive pickup and they won't blend well. So you either need two active pickups, or you have to run the passive pickup through a small buffer preamp and then blend them.

MM pickup will pretty much cover the Jazz rout, except on the side with the two mounting tabs. So you only have to do a little filling. I've done a bunch of these for people and didn't bother to fill the old cavity, as it was barely showing.

These are in the standard Jazz locations:

MM_Jazz.jpg

18. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Thank you for the correction! I knew there would be balancing/blending issues but I thought it would've been OK to mix them.

(slinking away quietly)

19. MattS

MattS

Jan 17, 2011
    Cheshire, CT
    This is kinda what I was thinking too. I definitely don't want two separate volume knobs, i like to do volume swells from time to time.
    Another part of my "train of thought" for this build is that, I love the simplicity and feel of p-basses (my first bass was a p bass) chunky sounding, just plug in and play, but I'm definitely a 5 string player, i like the range and feel of it, i like the feel of neckthru and how they react with my effects pedals. My other bass I keep both soap bars on, my onboard eq is usually flat OR more often flat with the treble rolled off(in my experience alot of treble exists in Ibanez soundgears), I can get a nice warm sound or I can get real chunky the harder I dig, So i'm sort of combining the things I like of both worlds as far as feel and (kinda) sound goes, but the thing is is that I don't know if that'll actually work how I think or want it to OR if something else gets compromised or replaced somehow... if that makes sense. I'm not really looking to do trial/error experiments with this build, more like if it feels great in my hands it's gotta sound great too... in theory.
    So say I totally bail on keeping that bridge jazz pickup and make it just one EMG MM pickup, which is kinda sounding like the simplest/safest way to go... is there anything else I could do to this later on down the line? is there anything else that'd be good to look into?
    Anything else anyone can recommend if I decide to keep that bridge jazz pickup involved?

I appreciate everyone's responses. great stuff. thank you and keep it coming. I hope to have this build done or almost done within the next month or two.

20. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Matt- back up the chain 2 posts and look at the one from SGD Lutherie.

David's a well-known pickup/electronics PROFESSIONAL around here and I am definitely not.

He said you should NOT mix active and passive pickups unless you put the passive pickup through its own buffer pre-amp.

I would definitely take HIS word over mine, ANY day of the week!!