1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can this fretboard be cleaned?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RandomEvent, Feb 23, 2008.

1. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    IMG_0577.

I'm wondering if it's possible to save my fretboard from the horrors of filthiness. If you look you can see 3 smudge/dirt lines from the higher strings. I just tried EB Wonder Wipes, and it didn't work those kind of wonders. I don't think they were intended to clean that stuff anyway.

For a while I was wondering if maple was this way, but the coloration is way different, especially in person. So I'm assuming its accumulated filth.

2. I read somewhere that to take off years of filth, one could use a razor and scrape it off. Other than that, I really don't know how to handle this one.

3. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Use 0000 steel wool but be careful not to go crazy with it. Then use a little boiled linseed oil to finish the board again.

4. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    Well, if I have to go into all that, I'll just keep it. It's not hurting me, but I was curious. I was hoping for an uber miracle liquid or wipe or something that didn't require any thought on my part, lol. I'd have to actually pay attention if I used a razor or steel wool, so I'll count this as mojo someday.

5. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    My Lakland JO's board is way dirtier than that. I'm learning to like it.

6. Steel Wool?

7. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Yes, actually 0000 grade, it's very soft and it won't damage your bass neck.
    Just cover the pickup poles with something like masking tape because pickup poles atract the dust from steel wool.

8. of course, steel wool. What the heck am I talking about, razor blades.

I've had 2 hours of sleep.

9. Hey, at least it's not as bad as the neck from EVH's first frankenstein...

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

If the wood is naked (looks like it is), you can use bleech. It tends to eat coating if any though.

11. Strongjag

Strongjag

Aug 14, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Beards.
    I always use a FIRM toothbrush with lemon oil. On my warwick it got REALLY bad so I used one of those green scrubby pads, worked awesome.

I dunno, I'm apprehensive about using metal to clean wood lol

12. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    I'm apprehensive about the physical exertion that's implied with this sort of thing, so it's best if I leave the grime alone.

13. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    leave it be! it's called MOJO, dammit!

14. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

What? No GoJo for da Mojo?

15. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Actually razor blades do work. I took my bass to a shop in town and the guy used a razor blade on my Jazz V and cleaned it right up. Afterwards it felt like I was walking out with a brand new bass.

16. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    hell no!

aunt flo
    SoHo
    HoHos
    Drain-o
    PoPo
    Tic Tac Toe
    Solo
    uh oh!
    slo-mo
    GitMo
    Chairman Mao.

17. rofl-mao.

18. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

Oh no!
    Here we go!:rollno:

19. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Whaa? Dirt KEEPS the funk!

20. P1060050.
    P1130001.
    P1130003.

that the progression of lemon oil and 0000 steel wool.....worked pretty well, left some of the darker color on the neck but lifted all the gime