Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can this happen when an amp overheats?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Captain Awesome, May 28, 2002.

1. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Recently, sometimes when I play through my Hartke amp at a high volume for a while (45 min. or so), it slowly stops reproducing the bass signal and starts sending bursts of nonsense through the speaker regardless of if any signal is going into the input or not. When I turn off the amp and give it a chance to cool it goes away. Is this typical of an overheated amp, or have I damaged a capacitor or something?

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

It does sound like an overheating problem. I don't think that it is the reaction you get from normal thermo-overload protection circuit. That usually either reduces the output of the power amp, or shuts it down completely.

I think you have some components that are getting overheated and going nuts. Have a tech check it out.

3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Yeah, it is probably time to take it to the shop. It didn't use to have that problem, BTW.

4. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I usually get "Bursts of Nonsense" whatever amp I plug into........:(

5. :D LMBO (laughing my bottom off)

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    You might be pushng the amp sooo hard that in reality, you need a more powerful amp.

7. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I do have a more powerful rig on the way to solve the power problem. As far as the Hartke, this is happening at low/moderate volumes too. This problem just started last week and I've had the amp for a year, so I know something in the amp has gone haywire recently.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    are you sure you've got the ohms jiggered correctly for the way you've set up your rig? you might be running at too low an impedence causing the meltdown inside the amp.

9. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    My Hartke 2000 started making ugly noises like that a couple of years ago. Eighty dollars and a new transformer and the thing was back to normal. I used to push it very hard and that is the only problem I ever had with it. Another time with a different Hartke, (3500), it turned out to be the speaker. $120 dollars to re-cone an EVM and it sounded great. They are pretty durable in my experience. Try it with a different cab. Wouldn't hurt. What cab are you using now?

10. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    It's just a Kickback 12, running through the internal speaker. Basically the ugly noises get progressively louder once they start and I have to turn off the amp to make sure it doesn't blow the speaker.

11. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Try it with a different speaker. I don't remember if mine got louder as I played, but it did make horribly ugly noises. I tried to call the guy I bought the head from thinking that was the problem (he avoided me!), but it turned out to be the cab. I thought it was strange but that's what happened. If you have a speaker out, I'd at least give it a shot. It would kind of suck to pay someone to tell you "Dude, I can't find anything wrong with it";)

12. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Did it make the noises even when you weren't playing your bass? That's what my amp is doing. Also when it starts doing that it adds distortion to the bass signal as well.
    It works normally when it's not going crazy.

13. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I think it did; it was a long time ago. It was pretty bad. I'm getting curious to see what the problem is!

14. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I got it fixed. Turned out to be a faulty connection within the amp itself, nothing needed to be replaced.