Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can this hurt my aguilar 4x10???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XPshychoticXPyr, Mar 5, 2005.

1. So i have the casters set on the bottom of my Aggie 4x10 and they are quite difficult to get out once they are put on. If i was to lay my aggie on its side ontop of another cabinet (4x12 or another 4x10) would it harm the aggie 4x10? Does it matter how the cab is positioned ontop of another cab? Thanks all the help in advance hope i wasnt too vague.

-Vince

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Shouldn't hurt anything. Other people do it, too. (example)

3. Thanks a ton man.

-Vince

4. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

Vince--bad news. The sound will come out sideways if you put the cab on its side. BUT, If you ask the other band members AND the audience to lay on their sides while listening to you--you'll be fine. :)

5. :D :D

6. =p i may have to do that then heh.

-Vince

7. I believe I read a white paper on SSS (sideways sound syndrome), which concluded that if you stood your head on end ( amp head not biological one) this corrected the sound waves and your audience could remain vertical. I think that you would have to work out whiuch end to stand your amp on to avoid going out of phase.

:D :D :D :D :D

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    nah man, sideways amp head won't correct that. you have to play your bass standing on your own head to re-align the sideways sound waves.

9. R Briere

Mike....that's ONLY with Bag End cabs. For others, you have to stand on someone else's head. :bassist:

10. dang i might aswell just get a ahrness and play suspended in the air sideways to correct all these problems :p

-Vince

11. R Briere

Vince......just take up the accordion instead of the bass and you won't have to worry about ANY of these problems! :p

12. Your right! and it would cost much less!

-Vince

Im only 18 and ive probably spent around 10kon various gear over the past 2 years. Stupid G.A.S.

13. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    actually, with bag end you have to stoop waaaaaaaaay down to fit thru the tiny round green door to get inside. then stand on yer head.

14. You guys are too funny,Gandalf told me to tell you to stop the silliness and help this guy.Low notes are omnidirectional so the side wise cabinet won't effect the lowest notes,just the mids and highs.And stop dissing Bag End,this guy has Aguilar.

15. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    pssssssssssssssstttttt....................the mids and highs wont be affected either, the front of the 410 is pretty close to being a square, and the speakers are circles. the thing to worry about is the vents being sideways............. :p

16. Thanks for all the help guys i really do appreciate it.

-Vince

17. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    But seriously folks,(tish, boom) what if I had to stand my amp head on its side say on the floor ( in SKB type case) next to the cabs while giggin. Does it matter to the amp components if it is on its side while turned on or is it always better to have it sitting flat on its rump on top of the cabs/floor. Could sitting it on its side affect the cooling fan maybe or sumpin else internally? I mean that is the way my amps sit at home for storing, til called into action.
    And now back to VH-1 behind the scene,
    Comedians who failed and are now bass players. :D

18. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    not blocking any fan vents would be a big concern with placing a head sideways. from what i understand, all tube units (at least tube power sections) are meant to be operated "right side up" I've used solid state power amps w/o side vents sideways several times w/o problems. you do have to bolt the drum kit to the ceiling when doing so.

19. The only thing that would really sound different with your cabinet on it's side would be the casters rattling a little.You probably wouldn't hear it at stage volume anyway.