Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can this Ken Smith be saved

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Feb 29, 2004.

1. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Oh wow...that's a real bummer.

I think the best person to answer this would be Mr. Ken Smith himself.

2. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    hah, looks like the pups are bleeding

3. rockrollain

rockrollain

Feb 23, 2004
    Crofton MD
  4. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    That would be a great deal for 400 or so... I wish I ahd the money.

5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I get calls everyday for parts quotes. Don't remember this one at all.
    The Parts are about $600. including the bridge. The problem is the deep dings and gouges in the wood. We can refinish it but a new body would cost about the sane and look better. We cannot fully restore that body !
    The actual Street $ was about only about $2,400. when New and not 3k. They are quoting list or over paid !
    Today , a 2004 model's Street Price is $2,550.oo.

Buying this Bass on ebay and replacing the parts and body, (or fixing the body as well as can be) will only save you a few hundred from buying a new one.
    We really don't know about the neck condition either. Looks can be decieving. For the small difference between a new Bass, I would not gamble on this one myself.

I just bought an old 18th-19th century 7/8+ sized Double Bass in need of at least $10,ooo. in restoration but I know that the value restored will far exceed my total investment.

Know your risks in the beginning !!

BTW, how do you Edit your posts on this latest version of TB? I tried to go and fix a typo last week and could not find the 'edit' icon.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Glad you're around to set things straight.

The "edit" button should be on the lower right hand corner of your post, next to the small "reply" button.

7. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
  8. rockrollain

rockrollain

Feb 23, 2004
    Crofton MD
    Love your strings Ken!! :bassist:

9. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Things seem a little fishy with this dude... but on the other hand, he is a "power seller". After thinking it through, I will not try to bid on this bass. Sorry Ken, but to be honest, I don't dig your body styles all that much. I have never played one however, but I have heard them, and they sound great. I wonder what the hell happened to this bass? I tlooks like a dog attacked it!

10. dwbentley

dwbentley

May 5, 2001
    Amarillo, Tx
    :ninja: Well.................I bought it. It's my second Ken Smith. Love the first one and I'm sure I'll feel the same about this one. When I am through with this one I'll have a world class bass and a good story. Pictures when completed.

11. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    The pics are a bit small, but it looks to me like you will get a good working bass of it just with new PU's and perhaps pots/electronics. Let's hope the neck is OK. And if you sand the body and refinish it, the dings will probably fade out nicely.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think this shows you the insiduous power of eBay - the "allure" of "something for nothing" is so strong, that even when the original maker of the bass comes on here and tells you that this is not worth it, people are still proud to say they've bought it!! :meh:

I maintain that eBay is evil!! :(

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I'd really worry about the neck. I mean - how did they DO that to the pickups? I'm guessing a baseball swing via the neck, face-on into some very hard surface like the side of a building. I can't imagine whatever would make the pickups explode like that wouldn't have put some nasty stress on the neck.

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    That bass seems to have been vandalized.

I don't think a bass could be damaged that way by accident.

15. GooseYArd

GooseYArd Guest

May 15, 2003
    hah, yeah, it looks more like someone used that bass to break INTO a church rather than stealing it from a church.

16. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    what a shame.

i love smith basses.