1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can this problem be fixed with a nut slotting file?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Edword, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    The A string of my '62 RI Jazz is much quieter and weaker sounding than the other strings when played open. When fretted it's just as loud as any other string, the lower volume only happens when I play the A open.

I examined the strings and the A seems to be riding high on the nut, as if it won't fit into the slot (I've just changed to Rotosound 77 Jazz flats, which are heavier gauge than the previous strings).

I'd like to widen the slot so the string will fit into it better. Can this be done easily enough at home with the right size nut slotting file, or should I should just take it to a tech?

TIA

2. Yes, widen the slot, being careful not to make it deeper. Any proper size saw/file/etc. will work Some times you can actually us the string as a file, if it is not smooth roundwound. Also, make sure the A string winds around the post in a downward spiral so that the string has a good break angle going over the nut. This is only a problem with the A string.
    Rocky

3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Given that you have basic hand skills, this is an easy task. If you think a file is something found in a computer directory, take it to a tech.

BTW, while it is important that the string is properly seated at the nut (this repair needs to be done), this might not fix the speaking problem.

4. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Thanks guys

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    also of course be sure to put a few extra wraps on that A tuning post, so that it's held down in the slot a little better.

6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    good point on downward pressure at the nut ... I have purchased used strings to try a different brand or gauge, and found that the A had been cut a bit too short for my taste to accomplish this ... a quick and simple solution was to use a 'zip tie' around the center of the beveled post, and then just wind the string below it ... it makes a difference, as walter points out ..