Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can timberwolf blades be repaired?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Jul 30, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I had a 1/2" blade for my 14" band saw crack it is not all the way through yet. Do they weld them back together or is it a throw it away situation?...t

2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Bandsaw blades are relatively cheap so replacing it is probably your best bet. Personally I love new saw blades and as soon as you make that first cut you'll realise what you'd be missing by reusing an old blade.

-Nate

3. As far as I know they can be welded. If you look carefully you may be able to see were the join is, but this might be difficult if they've done a good job.

Anyway, whether you get a new one or weld the broken one depends on the cost.

4. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    For me at least, Timberwolf blades aren't cheap...of course, I'm pretty cheap sometimes.

I'd gauge your decision on when you bought it, as well as how easy it would be to fix it. If it's been used quite a bit, you'd probably benefit from a new blade anyway. I've pretty much chewed up my 1/4" Timberwolf blade, but am putting off buying a new one until the next project comes along...

5. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    You gotta be careful about the kind of break you are trying to repair. A crevase at the original weld joint is to be expected if the blade has been run a while. A new crack running perpendicular to the back edge is a sign that you are running it too fast and too tight. A TIG weld using stainless steel filler metal will last a long time. A silver-solder lap joint will also hold but the surfaces have to be ground flat or the blade will hang in the guides and break from excess tension.

6. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I tossed it.....t