can too much bass cause an amp to cut?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr_Shrapnel, May 13, 2005.

1. Mr_Shrapnel

Mr_Shrapnel Guest

Mar 20, 2004
    Hey, this is kind of a second part top a previous thread.
    I was just wondering if anyone could give an opinion: basically my amp was cutting, and fading in and out randomly. So I turned the bass setting down (cos it was at full) and now, it doesn’t actually seem to cut anymore!
    Does this make sense to anyone? Could it have been the high bass setting which was causing my amp to cut?
  2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Yes. The low frequencies take up more wattage, so if they're boosted you're more likely to push your power amp into clipping, overheating, or protection mode.
  3. I can't imagine a situation where you would be running an amp with FULL bass!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Have the ears stopped bleeding yet? :D
  4. Mr_Shrapnel

Mr_Shrapnel Guest

Mar 20, 2004
    ha! you havent heard my sound then! three letters for you D U B...DUB.

ok cheers, that'll probably explain everything then, il just turn that sucker down a little. thanks!
  5. remember, the best way to get a good sound out of your eq is to use less of it. you gain more volume. like turn the treble and mid to nill and turn up the bass to 5
    you'll be dubbed
  6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Do you happen to know what kind of amp you have?
  7. Mr_Shrapnel

Mr_Shrapnel Guest

Mar 20, 2004
    yeah its a laney rbh800
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yep! A lot of folks run the bass level full in addition to the bass level on their active bass full! You will almost assuredly overtax and clip your amp to the point of failure!! If you have an active bass, either control your sound from the bass or the amp but I wouldn't do both at the same time, IMO. I run my bass flat and control my sound from the amp and my bass level is at 2-3 o'clock. Never full on! Just my 2 cents.
  9. Mr_Shrapnel

Mr_Shrapnel Guest

Mar 20, 2004
    Cool! That all makes sense now, thanks! Im glad my amp isnt about to blow!
    Its all totally fine now ive turned the bass down.

Ok, but what about if you get a external EQ, for example, boss make a pedal thats got a 7 band eq on it. What if you crank the bass up on that? Would you still get the same problems if you had the bass down on your amp, but up on that eq?
  10. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes boosting anywhere will give you similar problems. You want to follow the advice above -- turn the treble down all the way, the mids down some, and the bass to halfway, then turn the master up. Most eqs work best for cutting, not boosting.

Or, get a bigger amp.