can tube amps clip

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacobm, Oct 21, 2002.

1. jacobm

May 31, 2002
    hi my name is jake this is my first post, im not very familiar with tube amps but have played enough to know i like em:D . A big problem i have with my carvin rl600 is that the power amp clips badly when i play slap styles. Ive never read any post about this problemon a tube amp and would really appreciate it if sombody could enlighten me on this. sorry if this is a basic questoin but my knoledge on tube amps dosnt exsist.
  2. tubes do clip but they do so in a much "softer" way than most transistor amps. Most people call tube amp clipping overdrive.
  3. Tube amps clip too but they sound more musical when they clip. The problem you are having with slap style playing might be corrected if you use the compressor on your R600 amp. The compressor automatically turns down the volume spikes that come from slap style playing. It will take some fiddling with because too much or the wrong settings will do more harm than good. I use compression most of the time. I have mine set so as not to effect my finger style playing and to limit my slap style.

Hope this helps