can u change string tension?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by basserman44, Jan 4, 2001.

1. i've noticed that some basses just have harder strings to pluck. is this b/c of the setup? strings? bridge? or just the bass itself?? and what can i do to change the higher string tension on my bass?? thanks

2. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    If you are referring to "stiffness" in the strings between different basses, I believe you are noticing differences in string brand, type, or guage. If all the basses were 34" scale then that's all it can be assuming the basses were set-up somewhere close to where they should be (strings not dragging on frets).
  3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    On any given bass, a certain string will have only one tension when tuned to pitch.

That having been said, the action (string height above fingerboard) can affect how this FEELS to play on. The feel at the plucking hand won't change, but a relatively straight neck camber and a low action will make the strings easier to press to the fingerboard -- even though the actual tension will be the same. The tradeoff is that you can't "dig in" as hard before you get string clatter on the frets.

The same string on a longer-scale bass will also have a higher tesion tuned to the same pitch.

Of course, different string sets have different tensions.

So all of these factors can affect how different basses play.