1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

can u mix active and pasive pickups, EMG HZ+TWX

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gpx1200, Oct 7, 2013.

1. gpx1200

gpx1200 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2013
    spencer mass
    I have a new emg twx active pickup for the bridge in my spector rebop but I don't have a neck pickup yet and I want to try out the twx and still keep the hz(passive) in the neck position but I don't know if I can use them togeather?
    I would have two separate volumes using the proper push pull pot for the twx then wire them bolth to the tone pump preamp
    will it work?

2. It will only work if you buffer the passive pickup. The active pickup has a significantly lower output impedance than the passive pickup, and thus, that impedance will load the passive pickup and kill most of the output.

3. gpx1200

Apr 24, 2013
    spencer mass
    dam I figured their would be something like that, guess I need to just make a choice allready and order a neck pickup for this thing

4. Why so? A buffer isn't terribly expensive, they're used when combining piezo pickups with regular electromagnetic pickups.
    If you're good at DIY electronic projects there are some very simple diagrams out there that use readily available parts, too.

5. gpx1200

Apr 24, 2013
    spencer mass
    it would only be a temp installation just so I can try the twx in bolth positions and decide if I want another one or should I try something else, I might just remove the hz alltogeather as this will give me a better idea of exactly what the twx sounds like in each position.