Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can u rate my songs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by warwickben, May 22, 2005.

1. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    moment of clarity - Eh. You're solid, but the song itself didn't really do anything for me. I like the concept of it, though. Slap, moment of calm, slap again. But overall, it just kind of seemed like slappity slappity, without much songiness to it. Really cool tone, though. Maybe flesh out the middle a little more.

sad sad soul - My favorite. I really dig your piano playing. I love the change from happy at the very beginning to sad.

my sweet angel - I think what you need here is a Boomerang or some other looper. You've got a cool feel going on, but you can't keep the notes going while you solo. Right now the song is alright, but if you had a loop of the part at about 0:35, you could solo over that.

nod to jaco - Doesn't seem like there's a lot of song here, either. Although I really like the fade from harmonics to regular notes and back. I think you just need to flesh this one out with another riff played in notes and harmonics for some variety.

Overall - You have solid timing and I think all of your ideas for songs are good. You've also got a good sense of how to create a feel. If I had to pick out one negative thing to say overall, it would be that you have these cool ideas/concepts for songs, but then don't follow them through enough. But I guess that's why you're asking, heh. Anyway, I really like your style, keep writing!

2. thanks alot.

ill work on the songs.
    wat do u mean by flesh out .
    moment of clarity i am working on frist slap line i ever wrote.

sad sad soul was written with a roland midi pickup on my bass. i cheated i wish i could really play piano that good.

my sweet angel was the frist song i ever written. my freind died and i just started playing it. i have that line 6 delay/looper and ive been working it in.

nod to jaco i just used to pratice harmonics.
    l

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Sad Sad Soul is excellent. That's a Roland Midi pickup? Sounds fantastic.

Otherwise...I agree completely with Only.

4. Sad Sad Soul is FANTASTIC. I love it. And the sound is awesome. I'm way impressed with that Roland midi p/u!!!

5. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    On moment of clarity, it just seems like the middle break is a little boring. Like, there could be a little more going on there to make it a little more interesting, and more of a contrast to the slap parts.

Nod to jaco I just think would be cool if you did the same regular notes to harmonics and back with a second or third riff as well.

And I still like sad sad soul a lot.