Can u reco a good online tutorial for swapping in a new bridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Fletz, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    I want to swap out the bridge on my p-bass. Anyone recommend a good online tutorial or thread here on TB? Thx.

2. Step 1- Remove strings.
    Step 2- Using a Phillips head screwdriver, unscrew the five bridge mounting screws from the body.
    Step 3- Remove old bridge and replace with new bridge.
    Step 4- Using a Phillips head screwdriver, tighten new screws to body.
    Step 5- Re-string the bass and adjust action and intonation.
    :eyebrow:

3. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Maybe I should have asked for more on your step 5. I figured the first 4 steps. So, let me rephrase the question:

Can anyone recommend a good p-bass intonation and action tutorial?

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    In the spirit of line6man's response....

1. Adjust action
    2. Adjust intonation

But seriously, be sure you adjust everything else first before adjusting the intonation - it should be the last step.

There are plenty of guides on setting up your bass on the net, including the "stickies" at the top of this forum. If you have specific questions, lots of folks here will be glad to help you out, but you need to do your homework first.

5. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    All great advice...if it's a direct replacement...if not, then it's just cutesy tripe. :eyebrow:

If you have to do any drilling to mount the new bridge, then you probably have to also do the following: make sure the center of the bridge lines up with the center line of the neck; that the bridge is positioned so the saddles have enough travel to set the intonation properly, that you don't mount it crooked. And make sure the new bridge makes good contact with the grounding wire. And that you drill the proper sized holes for the screws. In the unlikely case that the bridge is taller than the old one, you could even want to shim the neck...highly unlikely, but the point is that, depending on what you're planning on putting on there, you'll have more considerations. THEN you can read all about intonation and action.

I don't have any good links for you yet -- I'm working on a project bass right now and only have an odd bridge to use that is skinnier than stock, and completely different mounting holes...but I don't have a tried and true approach -- I'll just be doing a lot of measuring, marking with tape, remeasuring, etc. and then eventually some drilling.

Good luck!

ltt

6. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    LOL!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021