Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can U recommend a short scale bass 4 a beginner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayerEADG, Jan 29, 2005.

1. bassplayerEADG

bassplayerEADG

Jan 29, 2005
    Florida
    Do you have any recommendations for a short scale bass, inexpensive, available in lefty, decent quality, for a young beginner? :help:

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    You may have a problem finding a left-handed shorty... Try the Rondo site as they may have them. I know that Fender made a few of the RI Mustangs as lefties, but they may be tough to come by and are probably a bit spendier than you may want to pay as a beginner... If you're sure you'll stick with it, then maybe...

You may want to look at various symmetrical shapes that you can easily get in right-hand versions that will feel and function the same upside down... I'm thinking of basses like the Slammer by Hamer, the Danelectro Longhorn, Epiphone EB-0 or EB-1, various 'Beatle' bass copies.

Just a thought... of course, Jimi Hendrix did alright playing a Strat upside down :)

-robert

3. bassplayerEADG

bassplayerEADG

Jan 29, 2005
    Florida
    What about the Squier Affinity Bronco? Forgive my ignorance. What is the Rhondo site?

4. Rondo is at www.rondomusic.net - online retailer (E-bay also). Lots of positive feedback on their stuff which provides excellent bang for the buck (I have a 6 string Brice.) Check out the BriceAgileSX Megathread on this site. I also saw some nice Jay Turser short scales the last time I was at the Guitar Workshop in Sacramento. It's the top repair shop in Sac and the owner thinks very highly of Turser for the money. At the low price range, you will get much more for the money buying one of these instead of a name brand.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I would not recommend a short-scale bass, period. You will just have to unlearn the fret spacings on it when you get a real bass. The best bass for a beginner will be one with a 34-inch scale.

6. snake

snake

Jul 21, 2004
    Aurora. CO
    Being a lefty myself, I have both a short scale and long scale. There is something to be said about the two scale as far as tone. I think the long scale sounds better, though everyone must make their own choice. I would say the EB-0 or the EB-3. You should be able to find a number of basses for less than $500.00.

7. bassplayerEADG

bassplayerEADG

Jan 29, 2005
    Florida
    Are the SX bases on the Rhondo site the "Essex" bases mentioned in some of the bass forums?