1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

can u think of a bass with a "P" @ the neck,& a MM @ the bridge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by quadrogong, Mar 2, 2008.

1. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    two really useful pu's in useful places, and when I think hard, I can't think of anything with that particular configuration..saw this in a Fender Japan model,a shop in Tokyo,but it isn't in Fender Japan's newest line.
    short of routing out a pbass,any ideas of how to get this combination of pu's?

to be honest, I'm playing active J/J basses now for many years,and for my new bass I wanted either a P or a MM,
    why can't we have both? right?

I know there's that American deluxe P, but their MM is so honky weak, useless IMO... I suppose it could be upgraded..

2. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Fender Precision Deluxe 5

Attached Files:

3. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I mod my bass to this type of setup before and i don't have that bass anymore.

Great idea and great sound but their is something need to be consider.

The split coil pickup sweet position and the musicman pickup sweet position is abit of overlap. Usually we leave the split coil in its original place and put a MM pickup near the bridge. The sound u getting from the MM pickup won't be the same as musicman bass because of the place where the pickup goes.

You either favorite more on split coil and the MM.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Saw one of these yesterday, in translucent orange. Never thought I wanted a P bass, until now. And, it was a USA model, around 1700 bucks.

5. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    perhaps that's why i never liked the sound of my MM pu on my American Deluxe, I felt the split P was warm and classy sounding,but those Fender MM's?.. never used it at all, it never added clarity or punch for me,just this midrange honk that sounded cheap to me.
    But those P deluxes are nice,the construction feels luxurious and an active P bass? how could it NOT sound huge?

the reason I ask is because I was considering upgrading an American Deluxe P with a good MM and a better Preamp,perhaps with a passive mode.

I think I need to sit down and demo a few P's and a few MM's and decide..
    Maybe the P/MM thing is like Hedging my bets,trying to cover everything,
    when in actuality, one great useful tone is enough for me..

6. pmaraziti

pmaraziti Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
  7. pmaraziti

pmaraziti Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Sorry, forgot to add that if you preferred 4 strings, there's a HP.4

8. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    fender active deluxe p(american)

amazing bass, if you want a bucker and a p, i would try this out asap

9. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
  10. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Really? I'm not doubting you - and I agree that all the P - humbucker setups I've seen put the P in the correct spot but have the humbucker too close to the bridge. I always thought they could both be in the correct position if the MM were moved up to almost touch the P. Not so?

Do you have the measurements of the correct P location and the correct MM location? Would you be interested in sharing them with us?

Again, I'm not doubting you, just asking for data for my own purposes.

Thanks!

11. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
  12. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I did my too close to the bridge and start, fell in love for the first 2 week then hated the whole bass, i just use the split coil most. So i rip the pickups out (The both delano pickups) and put the cheap stuff in and sell the bass. So i'm stuck with both delano p and delano mm pickup.

Looking to sell them. If anyone interesting buying them you can private me for more detail.

To me i think P/MM is not needed, the MM pickup is like adding abit more mid range to the split coil. It doesn't really do too much. It sound really bad by running the MM pickup on its own if the pickup is too close to the bridge.

13. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I don't havd a P bass right now. My new American Standard is backordered. I have to wait until April. :bawl:

A quick measure with the tape shows my MM pickup is centered at 30-5/8" (about 778 mm) from the front of the nut.

14. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    +1 for Clover. It has the most massive sounding finger style tone I've ever heard.

15. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    well i have looked into this several times. true the mm and p spaces do overlap by a fraction, and moving the mm a little up on a modded p bass, will change the sound the mm will give, but, if you were to do the same thing, but start on a mm bass and add the p pickups, u won't really sacrifice much of the traditional p sound, don't think you could even notice. there is more space to work with around the center. if you pushed a mm tward the bridge a cm or 2, it muffs up the mm sound, but there is slightly more space to work with sliding the p pups tward the neck, without losing the p sound.
    another debatable option i have seen descussed, is taking somthing like a fender vintage metal pickup cover (i imagine carving one out of wood or plastic would be better so that the pickup is not on a metal base) and taking one of the pup sets (i would do the p) and riging it on the underside of the cover, keeping it at the same distance and whatnot, and having on pup set below the strings, on the body, and one set fixed above the strings, both in there traditional spots, of corse i have not seen this done before, just debated.
    hope this makes sence or helps at all good luck right now i am luthiering a bass (my first attempt) with a sweet spot mm, and a neck j pup
    here is one more thought, take a special p, and rig the mm above the strings so you could get a mm sound, a p sound, a j bridge sound, a special p sound, and plenty of room to play arond betweem them