1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can we get your opinion on our bass bridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by buttrock21, Mar 3, 2016.

1. buttrock21

buttrock21 Commercial User

Apr 10, 2012
    Music store manager. Manufacture KSM Guitars.
    We would like to get the opinions from all the bass players out there whether they would hesitate to purchase a new bridge for their bass because it is recommended that 2 holes be drilled?

Our staff at KSM Guitars has an internal debate about our bolt-on pattern for our Foundation bass bridge and whether or not to change to a straight in-line pattern used by the majority of bass manufactures.

-For the past 4 years our bridge has had two offset holes for mounting into fresh wood.
    Out of the enormous amount of bridges sold. Only a few customers have commented about drilling 2 extra holes forward from the in line 3 that match the popular pattern.

Thanks for your help.

J_Bass, ProfFrink and PawleeP like this.
  2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

If it bolts right on a Fender, you'll sell more. There's more Fenders in the world than any other. No brainer.

With fresh wood you drill what you need to drill. So a standard pattern makes little difference to the builder.

The efficacy and ease of adjustment is paramount. IMHO.

3. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    if you browse this board, you'll find a lot of people are looking for drop-in parts. these people don't want to drill holes in their basses, and i admit that unless i'm doing a serious mod, i'd rather have the option to put the old bridge back and have everything stock if i decide to sell the bass.

Pilgrim, J_Bass, Blaargh and 5 others like this.
  4. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I was typing an almost identical response when your post popped up.

5. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    Does anyone make a 3 hole bridge, where the holes pick up 3 of the 5 existing holes on a Fender? I would shy away from a bridge that I had to drill additional holes, unless it was a blank body.

6. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    I recommend that you stay with what you have. The most important thing is for your customers to get their bridges mounted securely on their basses. If their bass has an uneven top body surface, and your bridge only has the in-line screws, then your bridge may not get seated well. A tiny amount of flexing or rocking can hurt the sound. And they will blame your bridge, of course. Making them put in the two extra forward screws sort of forces them to do a better job of the installation. And they will more likely be happy.

7. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

With most buyers of upgrade parts, a no-mod install is preferred. This allows returning the bass to stock for resale. Also few owners of a vintage bass would consider drilling holes. If a concern is the stability of the install, and "getting purchase" in new wood, a SLIGHTLY longer screw with the exact thread as the Fender (for ex) would serve the same purpose, and would still allow a return to stock with no issues.

8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I concur with the above posts. In a world/market where the inclination to DIY pretty much is limited to direct drop in and the skills required to take any steps further either require knowledge of tools or to pay someone else to do it, a bridge that requires the extra step would have a very limited audience. Ease of use, quality and price must be tantamount to the rest...not necessarily in that order, but still.

9. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Just for the sake of argument.
    KSM_Bridge_Attachment_Screws_Pattern.

Looks like these additional holes are well covered by any bridge installed or reinstalled afterward.
    This is no 2tek-style modification. Hardly any worse damage than done by strapins being pulled loose.

@buttrock21 making this an actual poll might help get solid answers...

J_Bass likes this.
  10. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    why couldn't they make both their current type of bridge and a drop-in version?

11. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    As a replacement bridge for an existing instrument I, too, would recommend a bridge that does not require drilling of new holes.

For a bass build on a blank body, it wouldn't matter.

12. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    +1

13. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Since Fender (and copy) bridges are the most commonly replaced, that's where the $$ is.

Not everyone plays a Fender, tho.

14. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    If you have a product that you believe has some technical advantages, you need to market them in such a way as to highlight their importance. Then even those who are mechanically inept will consider buying the product, even if it means having someone else install it. Otherwise the additional effort will only be seen by a significant part of the consumer base as a barrier to utilization.

15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

That's exactly the idea I had. Let the standard mount be three screws that are drop-in capable, with the other two screws optional.

J_Bass likes this.
  16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I personally wouldn't consider it as a replacement bridge. If I was going for a new build I would consider it though.

17. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Your bridges look very nice, but they cost more than either of my basses.
    I suppose I am not opposed to drilling holes in them, though.

18. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    I like the Schaller roller bridges, so the extra drilling doesn't bother me.

19. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    make two versions. an industry standard and the proprietary version. tooling wise it's not that hard, you're just machining plates. unless you have an undisputed technical advantage to drive customers your way, give the people what they want.

imo, i think that the bolt-together, asymmetrical, socket-head-capscrew, machine-shop-look, might not work so well aesthetically with some instruments and the screw counterbores will collect grunge. also string elevation and intonation aren't completely de-coupled. meaning adjusting string height requires an adjustment in saddle position due to the angled t-slots. once set though, intonation seems to require removing the end plate or at least loosening the capscrews?

i like the profile and mass of the saddles, and the increased contact patch. :)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    pcake likes this.
  20. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    I prefer at least 3 holes in the back and 2 in the front. But I don't have any antiques that I'm worried about drilling holes into- anything that needs an upgrade gets what it takes.

I like the lockdown-solid ideas.

With the exception of Schaller (only 'cause I really like them, and they don't have the option), I don't buy any bridge that req's threading the string thru the back anchor section.

Looks like there will always be a little twist in the strings since the ball ends cannot spin freely and anchor where they want to.