Can we make Money?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by David_Swan, Jul 17, 2001.

1. David_Swan

Jul 15, 2001
    PR MN
    Im 16 years old, me and my friends are going to start a band. Can we make money at clubs and stuff or is it just alittle to early?
  2. bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    I'd say not quite yet. First you have to be able to get gigs. Get your name out in the open and let people know what your capable of. If people like your band and you think your worthy of a paying gig, go for it. Or you could just rent a place out with some other bands and charge a couple bucks admission. Anyways, just some ideas......
  3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    isn´t AGE a problem???

well, if you were to play in a night club...
  4. Can we make money?

well. No i won't go there! :D

You should start getting a refined setlist first. My band is still refining theres and we have a gig in 2 months. We are now doing 2 rehearsals a week.

You should then do parties for your friends, just play for beer or girlies! heeehee, then work up to a paying gig.

Itsa slow process but better in the long run so ppl don't say "you guys suck"
  5. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    In my neighborhood club gigs for cover bands work like this:

4 sets, 50 minutes each, 10 minute break.
    No more than 30 seconds between tunes maximum.
    Works out to about 13-15 tunes each set.

If you have 50-70 tunes ready, you are ready. I think by the time we got enough tunes, we had tried about 150.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Age is not a killer issue if you guys will be good enough to get the work. There are not a lot of underage musicians in clubs in my area, but there are some. You will have it harder than bands with players over 21, though.

You asked a funny question, it' s hard for musicians to make money no matter how old they are :)
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I don't know what it's like for someone your age in your area in Minnesota. Hell, I guess anything is possible, look at Silverchair. All my gigs were paying real money by the time I was 16 at the end of the 60's, and our band had a paid manager, a van, and a rented practice faciliity, but there were a lot less boundaries and conventions then.

Some qualities that will get you paid don't change, IME, though, like musicianship, stage presence which includes clothes and grooming, pro quality gear or at least good quality gear, and being thoroughly professional in attitude (e.g., punctuality, having your music down cold, dependable equipment, organized sets, etc.).

IME, clubs that serve alcohol shy away from hiring underage bands, unless the bands have recordings that are doing well. If you have youth centers and community events where local bands have an opportunity to play, those can be opportunities for pay. Another show that can bring in some decent bucks is to get with other bands and put on a Battle of the Bands. People are always willing to pay for those, IME.