Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can we please put a moratorium on political threads?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Nov 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    seriously, this is getting retarded.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think it would be easier just to ban certain people! ;)

Just joking of course! :D

3. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    Jason..
    We could have a close monitor of the political threads.. but we already do.. sorta. It is hard work for the mods and they cant close everything that is political. I am getting tired of PD_fives and everybody elses comment on whos better... Republicans or Democrats.. I think thats just ..well dumb.. but with all respect to PD and other partys involved i think... they should stop.. i mean nobody really cares who is what.. Its a matter of personal choise really..
    I was brought up Conservative but i dont tell my parents that I KNOKW THEY ARE WRONG because im independent or liberatarian or whatever i happen to vote for.. which im not saying they ARE WRONG.. im just saying.. well what if i thought they were. Ya know??
    Noones wrong really.. it just comes to personal prefrence and i guess where you work.
    Sooo just leave it at that.. PD.. no disrespect dude.. just keep your politcal ideas to yourself unless your singing about them or else someone asks man.

4. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    There is such a slim difference between libertarian and republican. I am a conservative independent myself (am and registered as an independent). It would be hard if this was your real political ideology to tell your parents they are flat out WRONG, since the differences on that end of the spectrum are very minute.

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    :rolleyes:

Point taken many times already, and opinion noted many times already.

All this is now is flamebait.

6. Close 'em all.

Or at least give them a LONG vacation.

7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    hell i say close the whole ot thread

8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    My vote, respectfully, is a moretorium on responding to OT threads that you take offense to or those started by a member with whom you disagree.

Jason...I totally respect your opinion and have seen you here as a very sensible and respectful member. I just think it is censorship. Granted, I called for the exact same thing back a couple of years ago but was beaten back by those who prefer to allow these opinions to be voiced. It would be very harmful to put a moretorium on political opnion threads now in response to a recent flurry of right-sided posts when it was fine before when the opinions were predominanatly liberal.

That would really send a bad message about the tolerance of those who run this board and would really make it clear that a liberal rant is OK, just not a conservative one.

Sound fair?

9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Does anyone really even give two poops about what political affiliation everyone is? I thought politics was one of the two things you never discussed in public?

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hey, here's an idea...

Ignore people you don't like.

Don't post on topics you don't like.

It's really not that hard! Don't punish everyone by restricting conversations that you don't enjoy. Others might find them interesting.

11. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Gabe, sage advice.

12. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    It has nothing to do with whether I agree or disagree or what I like or don't like. It has to do with the fact that the threads in question are like broken records - how many have you seen about the same thing? Also, IMO they accomplish little except start flame wars and waste bandwidth.

13. banning trolls like PD would be much more efficient.

14. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    TJ,

I can see your point, but isn't adding a rebuttal to a thread that you feel is nothing more that a "broken record" even more of a waste of bandwidth?

There are many topic here that accomplish little (nothing) and only result in flame wars.

The best way to handle it is to avoid it and hope it dies on its own. On the other hand, if others are interested in the topic, it will continue. Either way, if you avoid it, its not an issue to you.

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Okay, but let's suppose someone were to start a thread called, "doodoo".

And no one was interested, so no one replied to it.

It eventually gets buried. There are no debates, because of no replies. It just quietly disapears.

After the poster notices that none of his threads attract any replies, he gets lonely and moves on... or changes the topics to more mainstream ones.

16. As usual, DHC has had the balls to bring up the elephant in the room.

I wept like a little girl (OK, not quite, but you get the point) when I saw that Peter Duncan had registered on TalkBass. I used to read and post to alt.guitar.bass quite regularly, and I watched with some dismay over the course of about nine months as PD steadily lowered the level of discourse with his insipid, unintentionally hilarious ranting.

PD's admiration of Bill O'Reilly is unsurprising: both men, when shown to be wrong or foolish on a point, simply raise their voice until their opponent gives up and walks away. In their minds, I'm sure that they applaud themselves for the courage of their convictions, but really all they are is stubborn jackasses, and everyone knows it.

17. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I don't like pd, or reply to PD's posts because of some racist comments he made before. But I also don't get myself all worked up over the fact that he posts here. I just carry on, doing my thing. If he steps over the line too much, he will get banned. If he doesn't, then he is part of the community. I am sure that some people like reading his posts, and perhaps think he's a cool dude too.

18. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Unfortunately, there are many many many elephants around here who will continue roam around. This tends to be because of their positions.

19. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    As always, you make a good point, Gabu. :)

Unfortunately, given that there are so many people here, some more sensitive than others... SOMEONE is going to reply... and if that's all that's sought, then all it is is trolling.

20. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    I haven't raised my voice to you at all PM. You have tried to raise some legitimate points, but those were refuted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.