1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can we talk about Glen Moore?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Arnold, May 9, 2006.

1. Arnold

Arnold Supporting Member

Just wondering if he has any fans out there? As far as arco, tone, intonation, innovation, he's on the top of my list. I know he was in Europe for a while (in the end of the 60's?), and I'd love to hear any recorded evidence of that. The oregon stuff and his solo stuff doesn't get the audience I think it deserves because it's hard to classify. What can somebody say it sounds like? Anyway, anybody?
    Peace.
    ASG

2. Nazar Jazz

Nazar Jazz Guest

Apr 21, 2006
    I once attended Oregon concert in my college, it was a fantastic experience. I can still remember the sweetness of his bass sound. He recently collaborated on a new album Clovis with some faculty members from my old school, which I want to check out. I'm stuck on Ralph Towner's solo stuff for now, but am definitely moving toward checking his solo stuff out.

3. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    He is a great player for sure. There is a great LP of duos with him and David Friesen, both on acoustic bass.

4. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Just in case you don't know,Glen tunes his bass (low) CADC (high). His solo LP from the 70's is wonderful. "Potato Radio" with vocalist Nancy King is another nice set as well. Love his sound and composition!

5. Noam Elron

Noam Elron

Apr 14, 2005
    Haifa, Israel
    I only know a bit of the Oregon stuff which is absolutly beautiful. I've heard that Glen tune his bass in a wierd fashion, but this is rediculous. How does he get around on this thing (with a sixth between the low strings and a seventh (!) between the high strings?
    Wierd, but he sure has a unique (and lovely) sound

6. maxito

maxito Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Maryland
    I've followed Glen's playing for over 30 years. His creativity has been a big inspiration. Of course the sound of that nearly 300 year old bass is enough to get your attention.

When I attended a masterclass w/Glen ~ 10 years ago, he was tuning his bass CADC, stating that it was something that he had come up with that worked for him. He realized that it was a personal choice, and was not trying to convert anyone to that tuning. Watching him play that way, he looked very comfortable with it, and it sounded fantastic.

I had the good fortune to see him last night with Oregon, and both he and the band sounded great. One major change though is that he has gone back to using conventional 4ths tuning. When asked about it, he said that he decided to go back to the EADG setup after working with Rabbath.... "then I realized I could have a teacher" he said.

There were a couple of tunes where he detuned his E string, but I think he left the G in place all evening.

Also, it is amazing to see that he is still touring with the 1715 Klotz! We talked for a long time about travel w/a bass, and EUBs - Czech Ease, etc.....

For a minute he was using the Vektor EUB, but found that the bass did not allow him to fully utilize his right hand technique. He uses his thumb quite a bit, like a classical guitarist, and when he did he said the notes would not speak with the Vektor (or any EUB he has tried) - so he gave it back.

Personally I use a Yamaha SLB200, but do not think that was the answer for him, but I did suggest that he check out the Alter Ego - interesting to see if anything comes of it.

7. Arnold

Arnold Supporting Member

Cool,
    I'm taking this friday off to drive up and see them in Albany. I can't wait to hear him in 4ths!! Wierd to think of him tuning like almost everyone else.
    Thanks.
    Peace.
    Arnold

8. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    The duo stuff he's done with Nancy King is just excellent. When I first heard it, I was blown away by the uniqueness of the sound. I also have a student right now from Portland who used to study with Glen, and he's passed on some interesting stuff he learned out west. I love the thought of having Glen Moore as your first "jazz" bass teacher...

9. I studied with Glen for awhile up in Portland. He's a great human being and a killer player with a ton of energy. Definitely one of those guys where his dedication to the bass and playing music comes through. His incredible energy and optimism is really cool to be around.

His lesson style is unorthodox. But his love of music, the bass and teaching are evident. His lessons tend to be incredibly long. Like 3-4 hours at times. If he has nothing else to do, he will hang with you for a long time. I always came out of those lessons totally fired up and hungry to practice and play more.

Gideon

10. Arnold

Arnold Supporting Member

Just found this

11. eggfan

eggfan

Sep 20, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I've always listed Glen as one of my favorite bass players long before I played the bass, because of that sound. I didn't know that was a particular instrument, though I'm sure the info was out there had a bothered to look. I saw Oregon over 20 years ago at the bottom line in NYC, and it was a great experience.

12. Glen is an inspired, amazing player, and a very nice guy.

13. Troy Robey

Troy Robey

Jun 29, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Glen is available for individual lessons at his studio in Portland. He also does group lessons twice a week where he takes his students through a very thorough exercise of playing the chromatic scale using just about every possible fingering. Additionally he has his students studying and playing nearly every possible harmonic on each string.

He's a very positive guy to be around and really enjoys talking about the bass and music and his own learning experiences.

Plus his studio is right next door to Maureen Pandos' shop, MDP Bass Works. It's a great spot for bassists in Portland!

14. Tanglehead

Tanglehead

Nov 27, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    and to put this thread on top of the Bassists section, it's Glen's birthday today, October 20th.

I had the pleasure of having dinner with Glen and Art Resnick at a festival in rural Oregon last Spring. I had just played a set with Art, and Glen had the evening spot with Nancy King and Dan Gaynor. Glen and Art talked a lot about making it as newcomers to New York in the early 70's - some fascinating tales from my perspective, as I was in pre-school during the times they were reminiscing about.

I also just heard a story last night about Glen from singer Annette Lowman, who also had stories about working with Major Holley with Ray Bryant, among many others.

I've been thinking about getting back into lessons with Glen. When I studied with him before, he gave me so much stuff to work on, I could only get through a fraction of all the concepts he put in front of me.

+1 to everything Troy R said.... as well as the others in this post.

15. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Saw Oregon last night in Murnau, Germany. Just a great show! It was the first time I saw them live and I must admit that I hadn't listened to them since the mid-70s.
    Glen was playing the Klotz, tuned in fourths. And I found it interesting that he was playing the same amp I use--a Walter Woods green-light.
    This evening I get to see Charley Haden! Wow! Glen Moore one night, CH the next!

16. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

17. maxito

maxito Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Maryland
    Never thought I'd hear Glen playing on Cheek To Cheek.

18. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    on that recording the high string is clearly a G

19. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Here is "Beppo" from "Always, Never and Forever" (1992), one of my favorites. Great playing and writing.

In the 'mid-70's, I saw Oregon open for Return To Forever (!), the "Hymn to The Seventh Galaxy" version of that band.
    I think it was booked by Yin/Yang Productions.

Thanks.

20. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 13, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    When I lived is Seattle I think I heard Glen a few times- lives in Portland? He tunes his bass in 5ths right? Good player, cool dude.
    www.basslessonslosangeles.com