Can we talk about Red Mitchell?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Nice.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

That's what I meant - so nobody has ever mentioned Hampton Hawes to me before - not in magazines or Jazz fans, Jazz teachers here etc. - if not for TB, I would never have seen his name...:(

3. I gotta agree uncle toad...what a very hip thing to say about Red T !!! He would have loved that "hugging the tune"
    By the way, jgbass, his first solo album was Red Mitchell on Bethlehem. In 1956...Bethlehem Music Co. Rhino Records Inc. distributed through WEA.
    I have this CD in my hand...I don't know why you all are having such a hard time finding this stuff. This one has that same rhythm section...Red, Hamp and Chuck Thompson, Joe Maini on alto and Conte Condoli on trumpet. One of my favorite Red tunes 'Jam for Your Bread' written on the changes of 'Indian Summer' is great.
    At one point, I listed most of Reds stuff on this forum. Do another search under Reds name, and if you don't have any luck, i'll do it again.I'm gonna have to do it under another thread...I have a bad habit of unintentionally pirating threads.
    This is supposed to be a Scotty thread. See, now it's a Red thread. I'll tell you what, when I post the Bill Evans thread, i'll put up the Red stuff too.

4. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Aye mate, ye olde skurvy trickster always comin up with new ways to make it about Red. Well now I dare you to make the Martin Pizzarelli thread about yer Redmaster Jones there. And while yer at it just try taking Dave Fink or Bruno Chevillon.

5. Ya got me on that one Phil me boy.

6. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    If it helps anyone, my copy of this record is called "Some Hot, Some Sweet, Some Wild"

7. Now that really is a new one on me and probably Reds widow Diane.
    Brent, what does the cover look like on your copy. Mine just has black and white pictures of a bass picture printed over and over and a Red rose right in the middle. Same cover for the C.D. and my very,very olde vinyl
    Can you scan a copy of yours unless it's the same.

8. I think you need to make up your mind, on your own. It seems you're asking us what you should like or not like, no?
    Between you, me and all the cats that hang with us,
    I get a bit of an attitude...not in a mean spirited kind of way, but just calling Scott 'this cat' and definately has chops and then come out with the historical bit as in 'do we owe him respect, for this and that.
    We don't owe Scott LaFaro nothing, zilch, the only thing we do owe him is to further the 'not to get corny' torch' in terms of being another cat/chick to continue to be musical in a way that might utilize some of his thoughts and feelings and sound.
    And again: Interplay, Interplay, Interplay.

9. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    My cover is the same. On the back of the insert, though it says "Some Hot, Some Sweet, Some Wild Red Mitchell " and the same on the back of the plastic case, with track listing. Inside the CD package there's a fold-out insert, Japanese on one side, using the same title, but on the other side is a reprint of the original lp backside, and it only says RED MITCHELL. It's labelled (c) 1989 Nippon Columbia, so maybe it's just a Japan thing.

BTW- I found Red's cello record we once talked about in a collector shop here. 130 bucks! ouch...

Brent

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I Love Reds
    I Loves Ornette
    Sometimes I wish I played Coronet.

11. Yikes! I assume you didn't pop for it.......I have it on the original vinyl. Almost unplayable. I figured, after hearing Red play cello, that that was why they invented the word funk.

12. VTDB

VTDB

Oct 19, 2004
    Maine
    Man, I love these Red-Head threads.

As long as we're on the subject, for anyone who may be interested, there are a couple of interesting Red Mitchell LP's up on eBay that look real nice.

13. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    No, I passed. I was sorely tempted, just because I have all the other cello records (as far as I know) from that brief era when everyone was doing it. Hearing Red's would have been fun. But I know a lot of collectors here in town, so I'll just keep gently mentioning it around until one comes out of the woodwork I can get a dub of...

As to funk, I'm guessing you mean funky intonation, right? I'd be suprised if he was playing "funky". Among all those guys who did the cello thing, only Sam Jones strikes me as being funky in the musical sense of the word (and super-funky in the intonation sense - my man!)

Brent

14. Red was a great player, very well thought of. Oscar Peterson speaks very highly of him in his autobiography "A Jazz Odyssey." He says that had Red been available, he would have been given consideration as a replacement for Ray Brown in Oscar's trio after Ray left in the mid 60's.
    There is a nice entry in John Goldsby's "The Jazz Bass Book" about Red as well. I have three Hampton Hawes recordings with Red on bass, and they are great. The piano trio they had was arguably as good as most of the others at that time (mid to late 50's), and could have been very successful, but Hampton, like so many other jazz musicians of that time, had a terrible drug addiction, and was just not able to keep the band going. I would highly recommend Hampton's autobiography "Raise Up Off Me." It is a great description of the jazz life of the late 40's, 50's and 60's.
    I have found the Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD to be an invaluable guide to tracking sidemen like Red Mitchell. All of the recordings reviewed in the guide have the personnel listed (where possible) and the index also contains the names of sidemen as well as the names of the artists whose recordings were reviewed.

15. No Brent, No!!! IMHO, Red was the best jazz cellist Including me! We actually played together once in L.A. at a place called Sherrys. I'd play bass, Red would play cello and and so on . Red, of course, would play some piano. Bob West was there to man the bass and I would play cello and Red...piano. When I say Red played funky, I mean in the most dirty form.....filthy and in tune. Those other guys all played out of tune except O.P. I hate to say Even Ray had intonation problems.
    Try to check out Red on cello. That side is a live session in L.A. featuring Jim Hall, Frank Butler, Frank Strazzeri on piano and Jimmy Bond on bass.

16. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I didn't know you played cello Paul...Do you continue to play with that tool between your legs ?

17. I played "The jazz cello" Like everybody was doing in the late sixties tuned like the DB.
    Another thing...Brent, for all you youngins', the word FUNK was invented to describe the sound of Horace Silvers bands and that East Coast sound of bands like Art Blakey.
    Funk used to be a good thing.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I love Chet Baker's : Funk....

...in the Deep Freeze !!

(His version that is - I know he didn't write it!)

19. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    I'll definitely keep looking. I guess I just never thought of Red as a "funky" player. Was this something the cello thing brought out in him more? Are there some other (bass) recordings I might have missed that have a funkier sound? I'd love to check it out, if you can point me in the right direction.

Brent

PS - I had fun imagining your trio of bass players out in LA....

20. Great tune. Hank Mobley, I think?

For all who are interested, here is Diane Mitchell's 'Red CD' Catalog sight. I own almost all of them. Not sure how many she still has in stock: http://home.teleport.com/~mimuma/catalog/

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 23, 2021