Can we talk about Red Mitchell?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Dec 13, 2005.

1. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    A drummer friend of mine who was in LA in the late 50's and 60's told me about a gig he did with Gary Peacock and Red together both switching between bass and piano...... wow....

2. Who dat? I didn't know Gary played piano, at least not enough to handle that kind of gig.

3. Larry my man. Larry calls me his mentor. Actually I think Red was his mentor, 5th tuning and all!
    I posted Diane's site last year or so....glad you did it again Larry.
    Brent, Red was one funky Mother when he wanted to be.
    Check out Hear Ye, Hear Ye. The Red Mitchell Harold Land Quintet. Atlantic.
    Also the cello debut......that is hard to find.
    Even if you're funky, you should be in tune.

4. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    from jazzweekly.com

FRED JUNG: Let's start from the beginning.

GARY PEACOCK: Actually, Fred, I was in the Army. I had been drafted in the Army and put a quintet playing piano at the time. The bass player quit and there was nobody else to play bass and so I started playing bass at that time. I ended put being a bass player instead of a pianist.

FJ: Any regrets?

GARY PEACOCK: If I had been left to my own devices and had anything I wanted to do, I probably would have stayed with the piano, but that wasn't what the circumstances or conditions needed at the time, so I started playing bass.

FJ: Do you ever find yourself noodling around the keys?

GARY PEACOCK: No, not professionally. I did for a very short time in Seattle. This was a long time ago in the Seventies, but not in terms of recording or anything serious. I still get my hand on the keyboard during the day and use it for exploration, harmonic and melodic exploration and things like that.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 23, 2021