Can ya guys help me with some decisions?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Aug 12, 2005.

1. In another thread I was talking about upgrading my SX bass.. Well, I've been tossing around the idea of a J/MM configuration. Few questions.. First, what advantage would I have going with something like this over just a J/J config? I mainly play jazz and slap.. Would have a MM pickup really help at all for what I do?

This is what I am looking at as far as equiptment:
    Bassline Stack Series Neck
    Bassline Musicman for Bridge
    Aguilar OBP-3

Would this be a decent combo??

For the three of these, I'm looking about $320 with tax new.. This is a bit more than I had planned on spending. Do you guys have any suggestions on something maybe a bit more cost effective that would still yield me a "big improvement from stock SX" sound??

I really no nothing about upgrading when it comes to pickups, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm open to any and all suggestions.. I want a good sound, but I'm trying not to go overboard on a $120 bass..
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, if you have an MM pickup with coil switching (series/parallel/single) you have a lot more versatility.

As to the cost, you generally get what you pay for. You're right, do you want to spend more than the cost of the bass itself on upgrades? But then again, isn't the aim of upgrading pickups / preamp to make your bass sound better?
  3. So this is something that someone who knows they are doing should be able to setup with a Aguilar preamp, right?? I know it gives me more options, but this may sound stupid, but I'm afraid it'll give me TOO many options. I'm pretty dumb when it comes to preamp stuff.. I usually just dial in something close and go. Options are always a good thing though. If I do a MM without a coil switch, then there really isnt any advantage doing that instead of a regular J pickup on the bridge position, right?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. To be honest, I really like the playability of this SX bass. I do enjoy playing it alot but the sound could use some work. To be honest, the pickups and preamp I choose arent even the most expensive either.

On that subject, do those pickups look like decent pickups??