1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can y'all recommend your favorite beginner video tutorials ?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Brocephus, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Brocephus

Brocephus

Sep 18, 2019
    Apologies if this has already been posted, ad nauseum, (but hey, it's the internet, what hasn't been posted to death? :D)
    [EDIT: My bad, I didn't even realize this sub-forum was here, what I'm after is probably already here.]
    I'm already working through some from the justifiably popular Scott Devine, and I'm really digging some of the vids from Luke at Become a Bassist. Eric Blackmon's "30 easy classic bass riffs" (or whatever it's called) has been fun and useful.
    But, rather than take on the entire worldwide web, I hoped to save time and filter out the bullspit, and get some solid recommendations on beginner bass lessons.
    But, I'm not starting completely from scratch. Even though I got my first bass a whole week ago, I've been a solidly mediocre guitar player, for years, with a passable knowledge of basic theory (at least for my interests and current skill level), and I'm already ad-libbing up and down the scales and classic blues-boogie lines, etc.
    But, I've also got a hella lot to learn, so, you get the idea. As always, any good advice is much appreciated......

BTW, my interest is not to be any kind of jazz-fusion-funk player, or rip through a bunch of snappy Seinfeld-like riffs, just to be a simple, competent pocket bass player, the kind most guitarists seem to prefer !

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    alanloomis1980 likes this.
  2. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
  3. Free Online Bass Lessons - Talkingbass.net - Lesson Map

There is a wealth of free lessons here. I would highly recommend that you progessively work through the lessons and not move forward until you are highly proficient on your current lesson. To use a Scott-ism, don't be tempted to chase the next shiny thing on your screen. Mark's lessons at TalkingBass are well presented and comprehensive. There is enough material here to keep you busy for several years . . .

alanloomis1980 and Brocephus like this.
  4. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    Ditto Mark's talkingbass.com would also be my recommendation.

5. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Then dont neglect to listen closely to some of your favourite bassists as well. Play along to the songs you like and get a feel for how the bass "fits into" the music. No doubt theory is very important, but it won't make you a competent pocket player.

Even if blues is not your thing, it is great for learning bass lines and how to groove.

FatStringer52 and Brocephus like this.
  6. Brocephus

Brocephus

Sep 18, 2019
    Thanks guys, I've already been watching Mark J. Smith at talkingbass, he's outstanding, too, I just couldn't recall his name when i was mentioning the others.
    And the blues actually kinda is my thing ;), I could probably hold my own on a number of standard blues grooves, already. Those have been favorites of mine since i started playing guitar, and they've transferred over from guitar pretty seamlessly, and, some videos have helped.
    I guess what I'm mostly after, is just where to begin, when playing with people, on something I don't know, when they just tell me the chords, and start playing.
    I realize i can play it safe, chasing the chords and just thump along on the root note, or even play the root and the 5th, in the typical Country & Western "bing,bong.....bing,bong" pattern. But other than that, I feel like I'd go all, "deer in the headlights" on them, LOL!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    FatStringer52 likes this.
  7. konfyouzd

konfyouzd

Jan 3, 2009
    Seattle
    Scott's Bass Lessons--I've found--has a really good approach to teaching that seems useful for a wide range of players. I've been playing a little over 10 years and every time I check out one of Scott's videos I either say "Wow, that's simple and very useful," or "Man, I wish someone would have told me that 10 years ago".

8. Brocephus

Brocephus

Sep 18, 2019
    HA !!! Here's a great example of what I'm after. Ironically, it's from the one guy I mentioned above, that hasn't been mentioned in subsequent posts. It's not quite as fundamental as I'm looking for at this point, but it's pretty close, and I think this guy's lessons are generally really good (and he does a lot less frivolous rambling than Scott and some of the other guys).

9. onestone

onestone

Jan 18, 2013
    Check out Jim Stinnet's Real Bass Lessons on youtube. I kinda like his old school approach.

reddog and Brocephus like this.
  10. alanloomis1980

alanloomis1980 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Similar thread going over here, may be some more there!

Brocephus likes this.
  11. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    Well you mentioned all the things that will work. Sounds like you just need to find some people and start playing with them,

The ole I-IV-V and root fives will keep you being asked back in most any Blues band. Once you get with people less is usually more until you learn how to play with that specific group. In other words don't step on toes, just lock with the drummer's kick and hang on.

If you are not getting fish eyes from what you are doing, you are doing it right.

Jump in and have fun.

l

12. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    As a beginner, it would be really helpful to have feedback on your playing. I'd recommend finding a good teacher.

Brocephus and Nashrakh like this.
  13. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Also, coming from guitar you may have some technique habits that need to be approached differently on a larger, more tightly strung electric bass, to avoid injury.

If you are just starting out, watch the Holy Trinity of Beginner Bass technique videos

Brocephus likes this.
  14. KoalaOnBass

KoalaOnBass

Feb 18, 2016
    +1 for Talkingbass.

I've also found these lessons to be excellent (it's a newer channel, so not that much content yet):

Brocephus likes this.
  15. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Well after roots, and then roots and fifths, you might try adding the octave. And after that I suppose it would be triads.

Maybe have a look at Studybass.com even though there are no videos.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Brocephus likes this.
  16. Sa11e

Sa11e

Aug 2, 2019
    Roy Vogt's Teach Me Bass Guitar (TMBG) https://www.teachmebassguitar.com/ has lessons for all levels. I think it is a great option for beginners - since I was able to learn my first instrument at the age of 48 :)
    But I also recommend Scott's Bass Lessons parallel to that.

Brocephus likes this.