Can You Actually Play a Gig With a Bass Pod Through a PA?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChicoMarx, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Well? Can you? I read somewhere on here that it can be done. Can you also put a line into a small stage amp as your monitor?
  2. rebelbass

Feb 16, 2006
    New Jersey
    I have a bass pod; it could be used thru a pa or used as a direct box. I have played mine into a GK 800rb as a preamp.I don't run effects, just use it for an eq for different basses and use the compressor (its modeled after the famous LA one-knob compressor. It's easy to use too much compression its that transparent) and one preset for a little dirt. I haven't used it in awhile;its too much trouble programming for live use,even with footpedal (four preset pedal) and the kidney shape difficult to work with (I prefer everything in a rack/prewired,ready to rock). . If your playing live, I'd suggest trying the floor model,it looks pretty cool and very heavy duty.
  3. No. It's illegal in 49 states and 143 countries.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    its what most people/clubs/arenas/llamas do. ;)

the bass POD is ok in my book, but i'd rather just send a signal from the amp's DI out.
  5. Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Luckily for Chico, the one state that it is legal is Jersey.:bassist:

I haven't seen any bassists using them as a replacement for an amp live, but I have seen several guitarists doing so. I used to use the Behringer rackmount V-Amp Pro (only in rehearsals though). That box lives in my studio now and is usually only used for dicking around with guitar. I stopped using it in a band situation because I was always twiddling knobs to get a sound that fit, and I was too lazy to program it on my own time.
  6. When I gigged, I went from my bass pod into the PA with great results. I also had a bass amp behind me that I used as a monitor.
  7. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I've done this many times with my POD.
    I don't use it much these days, but when I was out on the road a few years ago I didn't even bring an amp out with me (we all used in ear monitors) and I just had my little POD on a rack that held both wireless units (in-ear & bass) next to my guitar stand.

The sound guys dug it for smaller venues (zero stage volume) and for bigger ones (2000+) it's really the only way to go.

The biggest difference for me was the in-ears though.

I did use it with just floor wedges a few times, but you need a monitor guy that will not have any issues cranking them up for you if needed. The sound companies that went out with us had no issues playing loud as long as they had control.

But if you can stand it, in-ears + something like a POD or killer DI/pre-amp are the shiznit!!!
  8. I have and I hope to never do it again:rollno: Those units do a good job of 'copying' the tones of some amps and cabs, but they sound like 'punchless copies' to me. Probably OK for demo's in a studio, but lame in a live situaton IMO.
  9. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    Owner: Bass Direct
    No reason why not - I have not used a bass amp in ten years!! My band carries a good pa and stage monitors, I have used various bass boxes straight into the desk, or via di box for long cable runs.

Works great for me and providing you can hear yourself well there is no reason not to IMO.
  10. You know, it's really annoying how everytime I read these threads Ken has already posted my exact thoughts. I have nothing to add but +1. Ken is never wrong.

But no, I actually wanted to rip my hair out after hearing my bass thru a POD in a bassment studio session we did in chicago some 4 odd years ago. Punchless and lifeless was it then. I just heard some Line 6 thru POD i think recordings from bass guitar mag and they sounded pretty good. Probably with a lot of tweaking you can get it to sound fantastic. But if you just have a sweet bass with good sound already, why not just do DI?
  11. +1 on a good DI through a PA... my negative comments were directed specifically toward the POD... a good, transparent DI through a PA is wonderful..... but I would take a cheap passive DI before I would use a POD... of course, again, IMO.
  12. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    You'd probably be much better off with a SansAmp RBBI. Bass Pod seemed to me to be more of a recording tool, and not a very good one at that.
  13. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I don't care much for the POD's tone, but you can use it without an amp.

I gigged for about a year without lugging an amp. I used either a SABDDI or Radial JDI, and heard myself through the monitors. Walk into a gig with just a bass and DO, and go home with one. One trip, faster setup, and less lugging around. I got spoiled with doing this. I'll be joining a louder band soon, so I don't think I'll be able to get away with it anymore.
  14. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
  15. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    I did this in one band for about 4 years using an Art Phatboy effects/pre/DI. I got so tired of being told to turn down (down to the point that I coudn't hear myself) that I started bringing my Phatboy, a small mixer and headphones. I would run direct out of the Phatboy to the board and then blend the line level signal of my bass (also from the Phatboy) with a line level monitor signal in my little mixer. It sounds a lot more complicated than it actually was. It worked great.

16. chinolam

Mar 22, 2006
    I would be so happy if I never had to bring my own amp.

A couple of times I had to rely more on the monitors for bass, and it was difficult because the sound guy didn't want to crank it for fear of damaging the monitors or it was buzzing. Pretty much every venue I've played was using mostly my DI in the mix, even when I was playing another band's monster rig. I might as well just bring my bass and a cord if I didn't care to hear myself. It would sound the same to the audience.
  17. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    well my opinion may not be the popular one in this thread, but i acquired the bass podxt in the last couple of weeks and i think it rocks. the key is you have to spend time to make adjustments to the sound. there are more than a few of the models that sound great right from the get-go but really you should tweak for awhile to get it sounding very good.

Punch? I dont know, but to my ears the "california" model based on the mesa 400+ is extremely punchy. almost too punchy (as in needs tweaks).

the bass podxt is an extremely useful tool in my opinion. its very compact with a built-in tuner and a number of quite useful effects, though there are alot of effects i will never use. the chorus, reverb and "bass overdrive" are great.

I attached my pod onto a slab of solid black plastic using zip ties along with my focus sa and powerbar/extension cord. very compact, very tidy. Everything i need is right there.

I have been looking for the perfect preamp (for me) with switchable channels for well over a year. i finally tried the bass podxt and i am glad i did.
  18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    There is a local player here that uses a Pod as his main preamp live. He has spent some serious time tweaking it, but he has one of THE best live sounds around here.

I had seriously thought of going that route, but at the end of the day, I am too lazy to spend all the time twiddling knobs to get the sounds I want.
  19. greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Putting all the contentious "pod sux" replies aside, it depends a lot on whether the venue you play at has monitors that can deal out a good bass tone. I use the V-Bass, but around here it's always best to be using a good bass rig as one's personal stage monitor.
  20. greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Gotta agree with that - for any multieffects/modeling/preamp affair. The good stuff in a band mix is not the same stuff the companies think will move units off the showroom floor.