1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can you add a cabinet to any combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KingOvHell, Sep 5, 2008.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

No.

2. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    It would work if you decided to tear your combo apart, but the 4x10 would be terribly underpowered. You could do the effects send into a small power amp, and from the power amp to the 4x10, but good luck running that 4x10 with 60 watts.

3. Wouyld another 12" cabinet work?

4. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    No. The problem is that your amp does not have a speaker out. At least none that I can tell.

5. oh ok, i thought the line out was a speaker out.

6. I have one of those. That jack is a line out for if you want to plug into a mixerboard. Its not powered for another cab.

7. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    The problem is that the amp only puts out 60W at 8 ohms. Is there an extension speaker jack on the back of the cabinet? If not, the manufacturer didn't think it was a good idea to connect an extension speaker! In addition, we don't know if that amp will drive a 4-ohm load. If it will, it will probably deliver about 35 watts to the built-in 12" speaker and another 35 watts to a single add-on speaker. There would be no noticeable difference in overall volume if you were just driving the built-in 12" speaker by itself. You typically need 150 watts or more in order to hear an advantage from using an add-on speaker cabinet.

8. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    You could add another cab, but thing is, you'd have to do some modification, and that 60 watts just ain't that loud. You could, but I wouldn't recommend it.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Just use it as it's intended for now, and start saving your money for a new amp later.

10. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Theoretically, yes. In your situation, it's not recommended. How cool is the light in your amp?

There are plenty of great combos out there, and also lots of good amp heads and cabs. Start saving and watch the classifieds. When the right one is there at the right price, you'll be ready. If you miss one, don't worry, there are plenty of good ones out there.