Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can you add a "slap" mid-scoop switch to a Passive Fender Jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Aug 9, 2005.

1. I have, of course an American Fender Jazz, and want to know if there's a way to ad a "slap" mid-scoup switch to it. The bass is all passive. Is this possible to add to an all passive bass? I'm guessing if it were possible, you would have to find a passive slap switch. Anyone know of this?

If it is, I would just drill a hole thru the control cavity I'm guessing.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You can do this with Villex pickups, which have a passive mid control as well as regular passive tone control.
    No other way of doing it that I know of

3. Is their passive mid-control stackable? Do they make it perhaps stacked with a tone control? I only have 3 holes ya know.

4. hmmm...actually i like my jazz slapped with a ton of mids (but that's besides the point). Another suggestion is you can buy a slap pedal. They sell them at pedalgeek.com (i forgot the brand that makes them) but they also offer overdriven slap sound as well if you want that, all in one pedal.

5. I'm looking for the control to be onboard the bass.

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    nope, the mid control is a 50K with no detent.
    Only ways you could do it in three holes would be
    vol/vol,mid,tone
    vol,blend,mid (no tone control)
    blend,mid,tone (no master volume)

7. hmmm... blend,mid,tone (no master volume) seems do-able.

I never really mess w/ my volume, always up full.

how can I get in touch w/ villex? do you know?

8. I can't imagine needing to roll mids out of a jazz bass to slap! However, if that's what you want to do, it might make sense to check out a J Retro preamp. I'm not that familiar with the newer Fender J Basses, but if you have a standard model, the installation of that preamp requires no routing, etc. It has a very nice variable frequency mid boost and cut control, and has, from what I understand, a very good bypass.... so you can go back to passive mode if you wish. That would eliminate the need for your external preamp boxes also.

9. I've previously owned the j-retro and wasn't fond of the unit what-so-ever. I thought it re-voiced the instrument totally, while the Sadowsky doesn't. I find the Sadowsky to be a very transparent pre, and adds a nice booty to my jazz. I also just got it, and paid $240 for it. I'm not ready to part with it, and from the sound of it, I dont think I will ever part with it.

I don't want a slap device in a pedal format. I would really like just to have a switch, or a roll-off on the bass itself. as soon as someone can confirm how to get in touch with Villex, I will see if I can purchase a Blen/Mid/Tone control from them to add to my jazz.

anyone know any contact info from Villex?

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Just so we're clear, and as I stated originally at the top of the thread, you will HAVE to replace your pickups with villex pickups.

They don't sell pre-wired harnesses like you say, but it's simple enough to integrate their mid control into a standard passive wiring setup.
    did you google villex? You'll get the website and contact details that way

11. I did, only an email. And all I would want is the Mid control.
    would I have to buy villex pickups just to integrate the mid-control into my bass. I dont want' villex pickups, just the mid control.

12. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    that's his contact details. He's an engineer, not necessarily very sales oriented. But he'll get back to you , usually with a day in my experience.

As I stated previously, yes. The mid control relies on special features of his pickups, which are a unique design. You can't have the control without the pickups.

13. david, you've tried his pickups. are they really that good? or is it just hype? Per my research, they are supposed to be the "most dynamic" sounding ect... ect...

how would you say they compare to lindy's?

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I think they're excellent pickups. Will they be what you're looking for? Only you can answer that question.

I've tried Lindy's, but only the 5 string ones, and in a different bass from the Villex - so any comparison would be flawed.

If you look in my bass clips thread in the pickups faq, you'll see there are villex clips in there as well as 8-9 other pickups so you can get some kind of comparitive idea. In the villex clip, I did do a few parts where I took down the mid control. Unfortunately, the pickups were a bit close to the strings so I got a bit of distortion on the clips but it's mostly fine.