1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can you approve and recomend god takes on standards

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by YaooRobby, Nov 16, 2018.

1. YaooRobby

YaooRobby Commercial User

Oct 28, 2018
    Hi! I'm still a rookie jazz pianist with pretty good knowledge of theory an jazz vocabulary if I can arrange something for example. One big jazz goal right now is to create genuine walking lines as well as the 1 3-feel. In other words besides the independence and groove it cultivates after a long time. I wonder if you could share some real classic badass jazz standard lines to practice alot and analyse to come closer. It would made my month if you could recomend some favorite performances and if I can buy the transcriptions online. Standards like Solar, Scraple from the Apple, Take the A train, Softly as in a morning sunrise, Rhythm Changes etc So can I practice consistent voicings and melodies in the right against some killer bass transcriptions Here's a piano walking etude for example. I just want to ask you how authentic in walking bass line tradition the link provide and which standard it is doesen't matter if you could recomend something sublime badass creative masterful walking piece or resources in general. Preferably with Transcriptions. Thanks

2. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    Stella by starlight NHOP/Catherine, album «The viking».
    It is only guitar/bass so it may suit itself to adding piano. Very good version of the song.

3. YaooRobby

Oct 28, 2018
    Sweet man! I forgot about Nhop. I will check it out asap if it doesn't require Spotify. I'll find a loop hole instead:) I didn't explain the premis with my thick skull sorry. My new piano goals include alot walking bass lines on my keyboard to work on my Walking Bass vocabulary in the left hand. with the right hand I want to expand my independence for all possible oppurtunies. So my questions was about your recomended jazz bass walking that's old school like Paul Chambers and Nhop for example to accumulate this communities vast knowledge of bassists from the post bop era. This link below is what I mean

GrooverMcTube likes this.
  4. Sam Jones walking Autumn Leaves on Cannonball’s Something Else album.

Peck_Time and YaooRobby like this.
  5. YaooRobby

Oct 28, 2018
    Nice man! Thanks alot! I love Miles goof in the intro:) It's so raw and when Hank Jones insist to recharge the outro vamp+ incredible legends. I get it if you don't want to say any negativ/positive regarding about his work= a Youtube jazz master with great exercises. I just found this bass monster. Hej provide free lessons as well as pdf-files with different notated concepts over well known jazz standards as a template. Please spread the Word if you know a "similar" teacher online or other resources. That would be very nice. Btw here is the man.

J_Bass likes this.
  6. oren

oren Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Salem, OR
    Rob Gourlay’s Walking In The Footsteps Of ... series of books are a great resource for transcribed walking bass lines. He’s got volumes on Paul Chambers, Doug Watkins, and Sam Jones.

YaooRobby and J_Bass like this.
  7. YaooRobby

Oct 28, 2018
    Thanks alot maaan! Books are very good in general for the surronding calm environment. That usually keep you on track with focus, dilligence etc... I got to invest in one book atleast. So the economic factor plays a big part. But I will check that out asap. Thanks very much man

oren likes this.
  8. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Do you want walking lines on the bass to play them on the piano? Is that it?

Any of the hard-bop albums have that.

Paul Chambers Walking.

I love this one:

YaooRobby likes this.
  9. YaooRobby

Oct 28, 2018
    Ooooooh! Me too:) I thought the track was called Blues by Five for many years. I love that Quintet in a sense of slammin groove. Mr PC's pocket playing on if I were a Bell is insane too.
    I have a cheap bass when I'm in the mood for Meshuggah riffs or P-funk sometimes. It has been so much voicings/voiceleading and more. There's no bass player around at the moment and I'm quite fanatic in the lines in general that needs to be rock solid so It generates more possibilities and groove eventually. I saw Ray Browns lecture he's badass. Thanks alot a jazz blues may be a great segway to other 32bar forms

J_Bass likes this.
  10. YaooRobby

Oct 28, 2018
    I mean on piano

11. YaooRobby

Oct 28, 2018
    Your book suggestions sounds interstellar. But rare. Besides his own web shop, the Chambers part of the trilogy I found on amazon with a bunch of bad reviews. Gourlay only provide paperback unfortunately( I'm from Sweden) If you own all 3? If you got to pick 1 with every harmonic/tonal and exploring type of style that should fit in piano Etùdes? Can you suggest other similar books with similar concepts ( comping/walking/2-feel) as a last resort. One of his books shouldn't be so problematic to order. Peace!!

12. YaooRobby

Oct 28, 2018
    Sorry every book is on Amazon

oren likes this.