1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can You believe I want to learn bass at 55 years old

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fastharryDOTcom, May 5, 2010.

1. Hi Guys....

Thought I would intro myself and tell you about my latest quest. I am 55, getting over 6 way bypass open heart. Live in NJ where I am a big time radio control racer (you can see my 100 plus collection at fastharry.com)..

Anyway, a year ago in California some guy puts a bass in my hands and I felt such a rush it was incredible. Four months ago I had the open heart and let me tell you, everything changes in your life.

I went to see The Kootz a few weeks ago and got inspired to learn bass. Played Piano when I was a kid but other than that no musical training.....

But I want to learn bass BAD!!...I haven't felt this much enthusiasm for anything since I started racing RC's in 1996....

I go to guitar center and meditate with a Fender P bass in my hands....( I got it bad..LOL)

Anyway, I am looking at the Vintage 60's Squire (everyone seems to love that one and the jazz neck feels great...), or I might step up and get the MIM Active P bass...I was going to save and get the American deluxe but I got the itch to play NOW!!!)..

Anyway, any words or thoughts would be appreciated for a noob....

Nice Meeting you guys and gals!!

Harry

2. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Never too late to learn anything...........go for it!

3. thanks Darryl,

I am gonna go for it, soon as i decide on which bass....I am also gonna get the Roland Micro Cube....small for a condo, and battery powered so I can head off into the wilderness and play..

Also, and good hard case.....

4. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    congrats man!

5. Thanks....I noticed you and Darryl belong to a Christian bass players group?..

6. MD Stingray

MD Stingray Guest

Jan 17, 2008
    Yes go for it!

At the Annual North Sea Jazz festival in Rotterdam Netherlands, there are Jazz cats of 80+ ,playing some fantastic stuff. You got a whole life of Bass playing fun in front of you.

7. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
  8. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    Hey Harry,

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Bass. I'm 50, and have been trying to learn how to Play for 35+ years. I would STRONGLY encourage you to take 6 months and learn to play Guitar either 1st, or at the same time. Since guitarists will most likely be your Primary musical partner, it helps to know what the Chords they are playing look like.

I would then encourage you to find a teacher/mentor for a few months, and go slow. Learn the Bassics, and get some endurance built up. Once you can play "Intelligently" for an hour or so, I would try to find people to Jam with. This is where you will REALLY start learning to play, and where the FUN begins!

Best of luck on your Four-String Journey!

9. man, that is really cool...I am a saved Christian and and have known the Lord since I was 17...I now attend Fardale Trinity Church in Mahwah Nj where I also teach 3rd to 6th sunday school and always teach the kids in vacation bible school during the summer..

This morning I prayed that I honor the lord with the new bass and lo and behold I meet some brothers on this site....

Now how do you figure that?...( NO Need to answer, I already know....;)..

Good meeting you guys...

10. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    Good for you. I bought my 70 year old mother a Yamaha Stage Custom drum kit from Guitar center. I set her up with top of the line Zildjian cymbals too. She took lessons for three years, before losing interest and giving them away to my nephew. It's therapeutic. When you say Vintage 60's Squire, are you talking about the "classic vibe"? I say go for the best bass you can get, and go into debt for the american deluxe. You're 55 and just survived major surgery, treat yourself.

11. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007

a lot of bass players might snicker at that advice, but i agree. i started on guitar and learned some basic chords, but never felt like the instrument spoke to me. i changed to bass and my world was changed forever! however, knowing basic guitar chords has helped my bass playing tremendously. i do not play by ear very well, and if I get off in a song, looking at the guitar players hand and what he is doing is an easy way to find your way back.

12. Anthony, that is good advice. My Niece just started learning 6 string and we plan on practicing together..... So that would give me a good chance to get some licks in...

13. I wish I could treat myself, but the medical bills are eating me up...... So I figured the classic 60's vibe would be a good way to go till I get back on my feet.....

14. I know what you are saying about the instrument speaking to you...I get no vibe from holding a 6 string.... Holding a bass just lights me up...

Maybe I will pick up an inexpensive acoustic to learn chords on....

15. Flabass

Flabass

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    Music is eternal. Go for it. You will soon be affected by another problem called "GAS."

16. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Congratulations and welcome to the fold! I started playing bass about 6 months ago at 41 years old, so if I can do it, so can you. I am a 20+ year guitar player and my guitar knowledge has really helped me make the transition. The 4 strings of the bass are identical to the bottom 4 strings on the guitar, except they are 1 octave lower. :) The notes are all in the same place.

I've never been a big proponent of formal lessons, but that might be something you may want to try. Maybe buy a "beginner's bass" type book/instructional DVD. DEFINITELY learn the notes on the fretboard. Learn some basic music theory. Like most rock songs use a I, IV, V chord progression, etc.

Looking forward to seeing you around the forums. :)

17. Welcome to the low end!

Try to buy your gear used, especially since you're starting out. There's plenty of quality used basses and amps floating around stores and CL (and TB classifieds). You should be able to find a very good amp & bass to start, learn and grow on for around $500. (Of course, it's hard to argue with blockinlay's "treat yourself"!) If you know someone who knows gear, take him/her with you.

Also try to find a good teacher who knows the BASS—not just a guitarist who thinks it's just the bottom 4 strings tuned down an octave. Set achievable goals and GO FOR IT!

Above all, have fun. Sounds like you're on your way.

18. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    I wish you the best in learning bass.

19. I'm 59 and have had to learn a new career (teaching English in high school), and new concepts in bass (jazz; had to learn to read music, finally) as well. It all keeps the brain--and heart--young!

20. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Good for you!

I am 41 and have played bass for 25 years. I picked up a mandolin for the first time at 39 and will be learning piano starting in a month or so.

It is never too late to learn something new.

P.S. +1 on learning a bit of guitar. The ability to watch a guitar player finger even the most basic chords (A, C, D, E, G) will make you 10x better in a jam situation.