Can you believe this guys? Who are they?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by simongpaez, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Do they really think they can get away with this?? Or worst have they ?
    Anyone here has gone through the same?

I Saw your ads @ bassgear,My name is Wright Samuel, one of my client has just recently placed a quote on your type of Basses but i still need you to email picture.

He informed me that the payment will be remmited through Money order or cashier cheque.

I am certify with the price $1400 In order to conclude the deal as soon as possible, the money order that will be sent to you will be $5000 include the money for the sales of your item and the shippers fees for organising a home pick up service from your base down to its new origin.
    You do not need to worry as my shipping company will come to pick the item as they are going to pick other merchandise we have procured together when comming to Uk.

What I want to clarify is that will you be able to send the shipping charges to the shipping agent via Western Union Money Transfer method as soon as you get and cash the payment and you deduct the money for the sales of your item.
    If you agree to assist in this capacity, send your full name,your address and phone numbers for the payment to be issued and sent to you.
    Best Regards,

Am compensating you with $100 to consider it sold to me and remove
    the ads from the internet and email me the name and the address with your
    phone numbers..
  2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    This is called a scam. Some may chime in with ways to mess with the scammers. Others will tell you just to ignore it. I usually report the address as spam and go on with my day. :meh:
  3. Yeah, I've heard stories of people ripping off the scammers, etc. But for what it's worth, I'd probably just delete the e-mail, or at least forward it to the domain admin, or something.
  4. They are, as others have said, scammers. The aforementioned are typically phishers located on other continents (hence the poor grammar) who promise large amounts of money for (in comparison) miniscule amounts.

It is sickening, but a lot of people are taken in by these people.
  5. RIP-OFF artist! ...or a REALLY bad broker! Move on to another buyer, quick!
  6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF

Hey dude! GET that guy's info!!! What'd he tell you his name was, etc?? I actually got ripped by something sounding exactly like it, with the home pickup, shipping it back to the UK, etc.. (long story... weird circumstances)- but yeah, PM me or something about it!!
  7. lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    That scam has been going on for years! They reply to any for-sale ads at bassgear, harmony-central, eBay, etc. Actually, they have bidded and won on some of my eBay auctions; I then have to report them and relist the item.

There is not much we can do to prevent it. If you try to contact them with any other information besides what they are looking for, they will simply never contact you again and probably delete the e-mail address they used.

These people constantly create and delete e-mail accounts and eBay accounts every time they try to scam somebody so trazing is not easy, and the FBI doesn't have time for these. . .
  8. rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    . . . and to save on shipping costs he can come over in person and you'll cram it up his ***.
  9. Just tell him to send $100 and you'll consider it, then reply saying
    " ken what, naw man, get tae ' "
  10. What's the best way to report these people ? If you have Yahoo as a mail service , is it best to simply click on the email as "spam" and then Yahoo takes care of it ? Or is there a better way to report them ?
  11. ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    Check out this website...

Scan Victims United

If anyone mentions Western Union In a transaction, Don't do it. Once your money is wired, it is gone for good. That's why scammers use it.
  12. that one may go over a lot of people's heads, if they're not from our fair isle... :p
  13. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I believe the proper English translation would be:

"Excuse me sir, I'm afraid I cannot accomodate your request at this time, I implore you to cease badgering my person and you'd better try elsewhere."
  14. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    I posted my EB/MM Sray 5 for sale or trade on craigslist. Right away I got the scams from France, Negeria. Don't know if it is the same person but the body of both emails read almost identical, coincidence, think not. So I went back and made my reply email anon, still got one more scammer. So I then went back and edited my ad to say " Do not wish to ship this bass, Houston area deals only. Still got one more scam. I also had a deal pending to make an even trade with a guy in NC for his PV Cirrus 6er. Even that made me abit nervous, we spoke on the phone a couple times, we emailed pics, that eased my fears. But come that Monday he called to say his Fedex offices computers were down, he did ship but had no tracking number. I got a bit nervous and called my wife to say don't ship my bass yet from her job which has a fedex acct, until I can get a tracking # for his ship. Next day I called fedex and they showed he sent an item about 27lbs on Monday, but I still had no tracking #. We spoke on phone that nite and I felt safe now to ship my bass the next day. Even then you gotta be cautious dealing with strangers, I coulda had a 27lb. box of bricks coming for all I know. But it worked out. I got his Cirrus on Thursday and he got my Sray on Friday. We emailed once more, it seems we are both happy with our trades. Stupid scammers just waste others time. Always watchem. :ninja:
  15. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Check out on Google how someone ripped off a scammer and beat them to their own game with an Apple Laptop... People actually got on a thread around the scammer's location and did some espionage... You gotta check out what the scammer got!!!! I'll leave it at that
  16. CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Found it! Thanks for a great story. :D
  17. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I listed my Tascam 788 on bassgear and got about 4 of these emails within a day.

18. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Yep. I got the exact same thing for every piece of gear I listed on I responded to the guy something to the effect of "I'm not sure what you're tryin to work, but I'm not fallin for it. Thanks, but no thanks."

They must think we're stupid. I even got the same bogus thing from different email addresses, and in another one his name was Palmer and he was from Canada.
  19. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Even if 9 out of 10 people know this is a scam, that 10th person makes it all worthwhile to the scammer. :(