1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can you believe this..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FishDub, Mar 7, 2013.

1. FishDub

FishDub Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Down to two basses--Yamaha BBN5A and Modulus Q5. I played both on stage and for some crazy reason the Yamaha seems to be sounding better to my ears, even the Low B..Yes both are setup and have new batteries..Isnt this crazy?? Anyone have a similar experience?

2. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

Mar 17, 2010
    Not surprised, at least for me anything sounds better than a modulus. And that whole "necks are more stable than wood" deal? False marketing. I live in Alaska and have to deal with alot of weird weather, my wooden neck basses move far less than the two modulous basses ive had to deal with.

3. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Yes. My '84 Squier Bullet with 70's USA Pickups. Smokes 'Em all. So yes, Very Similar experience. A cheap bass that wouldn't sell for more than a few hundred bucks sounds and plays better than many $2000 basses.

4. cjmodulus

cjmodulus

Jul 15, 2010
    I traded my former Q5 (bought used) Simply because the sound from my spector legend 5 was doing it more for me. I guess my taste/tonal preferences changed. I'd own another in a heartbeat though. I loved the feel of that bass, It was really well-made. Maybe I'll try another with different electronics sometime, if I ever said up enough cash

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My Yamaha TRB5P-II sounds as good as anything else I own. Yamaha is typically underrated, but they build some very fine instruments. It doesn't surprise me at all that it sounds as good as or better than the Modulus (note capitalization and correct spelling).

6. FishDub

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks OMG I thought I was losing my mind but something about this BBN5A spanks everything I have had..again, tonal preference to the ears(slap,mids and especially low b which is not normal for 34 inches). I almost would feel strange selling the Q5 but not sure I will need it...

7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Let's just say I'm glad you traded it :)

Speaking of which! You can hear the Q5 on my new Soundcloud link it my signature!

8. FishDub

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    But then again my gigs consist of Reggae and Merengue so maybe that would explain,,

9. evilchuck87

evilchuck87 Modulus is my passion

Mar 12, 2009
    San Francisco
    blasphemy ;)

-Modulus homer

10. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Why would that be 'crazy'?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You know, you gotta go with what works. Yamaha stuff is very solid.

12. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    Yep, Yamaha stuff plays and sounds much better than a lot of people assume.

13. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yes, I'm certainly thankful I got to learn on an RBX370A when I first started, and Yamaha really deserves much more recognition than people normally give them.

14. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    You guys are funny! Yamaha "stuff"...

15. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I mean

Very same specs exept color of finishings and missin slapcut...

Other than that, a true jewel of a bass I never been able to afford back then (I just got started and its price was far out of my reach) when it eventually became some more affordable to me it just went out of catalog:bawl:

Normally, bein' so close to the Nathan East signature from back in the days, the ones out there been heavily modded

So you gotta be lucky enough to find a carefully preserved one

If that's your case, you got a jem under your fingertips, no Modulus can beat.

Cheers,
    Wallace

16. FishDub

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for all the feedback..Interesting comments. I am going to move to sell it since its kinda sitting there. Oh well I am sure Iwill be fine..sniff sniff weep weep..:0)

17. cjmodulus

cjmodulus

Jul 15, 2010
    And I'm glad she's getting some love. Great track btw. Love the contrast between that main riff and your fuzzy groove in the verses.

We now return you to your scheduled thread. ;)

18. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Nice work! Sounds great...

19. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

Mar 17, 2010
    Great tone! This is clearly a case of "awesome player, poor bass choice":bag:

No seriously, send the modulus fan club my way. Ive got some 13 pound Spectors at the ready!

20. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    The only thing that makes this unbelievable is the perpetuation of the marketing ******** that we're fed.

Made in America is best!
    Expensive is best!

The day you can just evaluate a bass for how it plays, feels, and sounds to you, and NOT based on how much it costs, what it's made of, where it was made, and what brand is on the headstock, you'll be free to actually enjoy it without bias.