Can you Buy Lakland Replacement Necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Poon, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Skyline? US Made...etc? I'm wondering. I have a Skyline 55-02 that might need a new neck in a bit and I'm wondering if I can get one. I think someone from US custom guitars can make them to the skyline specs too, is that correct? Well...let me know.

2. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I doubt you'd be able to order one from Lakland direct, but I do remember someone selling a fretless neck made by Warmoth that fit his Lakland, so Warmoth might be a good place to look.
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Why does it need a new neck? Is this an issue that Dan at Lakland could not take care of?
  4. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well...i'm not the original owner, so it's not covered under warranty. And I was informed that a new neck will cost $300.
  5. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Have you talked to Lakland about this? If you haven't, I think you should. You never know what they'll say. Lakland's customer service is supposed to be great and who knows; they may toss you a replacement neck on the cheap.

If a new neck from Lakland is $300, I'd rather spend the money to get the real thing than buy a replacement from someone else to save a few bucks If you're going to buy a finished replacement neck from Warmoth there won't be that much difference in price.
  6. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have. In the past Lakland have been incredible about customer service. They've done work on my lakland for free in the past and have patched me up. Maybe $300 aint so bad. However, when taking into account I bought the bass for $800, it's a bit. However, Dan and Co are great, I just don't want this to happen again.
  7. Chazinroch

Feb 2, 2003
    Ontario N.Y.
    I just got an email reply from Dan Lakin regarding a maple fret board neck for my 55-94. He said the neck is the most expensive part of the bass. He quoted me a price of $900. I'll live with the rosewood.
  8. KataPolt

Aug 4, 2004
  9. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

About two years ago my USA Bob Glaub fell onto a granite floor from a height of about 4 feet... It landed face down and took a nice bounce... major damage
    E string tuner broke..
    both the volume and tone pots disconnected and
    the body had two very deep gouges in it.
    The neck was not damaged.

I called Lakland and they said I should send it back for an inspection...

I spoke to Dan and we decided that it would make most sense to replace the body ( trad Sunburst) instead of stripping it down and repairing the gouges and repainting. Fortunatley he had a bursted USA Bob Glaub body in house and it was lighter than mine so it worked out. He restored the bass to 100% new condition and I have not had any problems with it.... it cost $400. which my insurance covered....

I think he will be able to help you with the neck...I dont know how busy they are with the Skylines series but I would give him a ring...
  10. I have a similar idea. I want to get a fretless neck for my skyline hollowbody (have a fretted one now, and want to be able to swap em out)
    Do you think a different Lakland neck would fit? like one from their P-style basses? that would make it easier to find a used one