Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can you buy prerecorded drum tracks?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Wes Whitmore, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Not sure if this is the right place, but I am wondering if you can buy popular songs' drum tracks on Disk or MP3. I'm basically looking for a bunch of drum tracks for a drummerless coverband. I don't know if there is any way to pull just the drums out of the originals, but if there is a way, let me know!
    Thanks,
    Wes

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Not exactly. There is a fairly large market for pre-recorded live drum 'loops' which you can piece together yourself to make realistic sounding drum tracks. Unless there is something particularly unique about the beats you are trying to get, perhaps that'll help?

3. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Well, I have messed around with some virtual drum software, and it didn't sound that realistic. I know there is some software that sounds very good, but I don't want to spend the time programming the drums for every song we play. Chances are it would be wrong anyway just because I woudld use tabs from people who can't tab much better than I can. Someone should offer recordings to the general public. I'm sure there would be some copywright issues there, but man, it would help out in practices and gigs too.
    Thanks anyhow!
    Wes

4. I have no idea who this guy is, but if you look around, there may be more like him. I don't know if you have a budget, but it does seem a bit pricey.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm not talking about virtual drums, I'm talking about actual live audio drum loops that you can piece together and make beats with. There is a big market for it, just look around. They can be kind of pricey though.

6. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I didn't even know that stuff existed.
    Thanks!
    Wes

7. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I am sure you can play to a metronome and then have a drummer come and play what u want. SESSION DRUMMER!!! :D

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    There is a *huge* market for it in electronic music and hip hop with varying degrees of what's on the discs from individual drum samples to instrument samples to whole tracks to cut up. Electronic music is the worst offender, lots of club music is constructed largely out of loops and fairly little effort actually goes into it, the real talent is usually the DJ who has to take all these disparate tracks and merge them together in a danceable way.

That's going off on a tangent.

The point is, There is also a very large market for live drum loops in all styles. I'm more versed with the electronic/hip hop loops, and I'm not really familiar with some of the rock...etc. ones, so I don't think I can really point you to any names, but they do exist heh.

Also, If anyone in your band has a mac, they'll have garageband which has a couple thousand audio loops including many live audio drum loops.

9. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Well, I checked out that link, and it is actually exactly what I was looking for. He even has over half of the songs that we play ready for purchase. They are $10 each, but well worth it for the quality that I was hearing in the demos. He even has a few recording that have mono drums on the left channel and bass guitar on the right. I can always listen to the bass to see what I do a little different and change my way if I like his better. I call that bonus!

I ordered two tracks. I should have them tomorrow. They should be a good training aid, and something that we can even use on stage, since the quailty is that good and we have a good PA.

We do have a drummer, he just has awful timing and could care less if he improves. They guitarist, singers, and I can use it for a ton of different reasons, and I guess I could give it to the drummer and tell him to learn to play with it. I doubt it would help him, but I'm going to use the heck out of it.

Wes