Can you carry-on a Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by C-5KO, Sep 17, 2005.

1. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm always worried about flying with my bass. I've only done it twice, and both times I just took a HSC. My bass seemed okay, but there were a couple of really deep scuff marks in the case. Which leads me to believe that the handlers aren't exactly that gentile.

I've been considering purchasing that SKB double case where you can put your gig bag inside it. But money's tight right now.

Will airlines let you "carry-on" your bass? Is there some sort of general rule?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think it has to be able to fit by your feet or in hte overhead compartments.
  3. My dad's intending to take on an ABG from the states for me. I've seen people carry on guitars, and the check-in people probably (they might) [edit]: don't [/edit] notice that a bass is any larger.
  4. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Its hit or miss, man. I've been able to covince Continental to let me carry on my bass a few times, but the last time I flew they wouldn't let me, even though it fits in the overhead. It came back with a hole in the side of the hardcase.

If they tell you you're gonna have to check it at the check-in counter, ask them if you can check it at the gate. Then, at the gate, tell them the people at the check-in counter said you could carry it on.

Good luck!
  5. Haha that sounds like a good idea!
  6. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I've brought my bass in a gig bag on many flights, both domestic (Norway) and international (Japan, Europe and South Africa). Never had any real problems with it at all.
    (One time, in the security check, a security officer asked me (after seeing the x-ray image) if the truss rod was a normal thing to have in the neck....)
  7. My dad's had problems getting Geitost through the's got a very distinctive signature to it...
  8. Hehe, probably like the signature of plastic explosives
  9. Got it in one!