Can you change speakers yourself?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SubDubMan, Feb 6, 2003.

1. SubDubMan

Apr 26, 2002
    I have this old cab, and I'm thinking about replacing the speakers in it, by myself if thats possible. But is that something that's easy to do? And what is invloved?

Also - Can you mix and match speakers in the same cab? (it's a 4x10) could i have 2 harkte speakers and 2 eden (for example!). Just curious.
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Obviously I cannot comment on how that would sound but as long as you get the right resistance it would work. ie if you have a solid state head that delivers 200w into 8 ohm and 300w into 4 ohm you need to decide if you want to use this cab alone (4 ohm) or with another( 8 ohm) cab. Mixing 4 and 8 when using a head with a minimum of 4 ohms can get expensive.

Try and goto the pretty pictures of multiple speaker wiring/resistance options.
  3. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    it is very easy to pull speakers out of a cab and put new ones in. Many people on the boards have even built their own. As long as the holes are the right size for the speakers you intend to put in, they should fit fine.

Now heres for the shady part:

Theoretically, you can put two differend kinds of drivers in the same box. Many companies have 15's +8s or 18's + 10's in one box, along with a horn. There are countless configurations. However, the chances of it working well are kinda low. Why is this? An enclosure is designed with certain speakers in mind. If the new speakers you put into this box are far from these parameters (which without a spec sheet you have no way of telling) then you cannot predict how they will behave in the box. You also cant predict how they would interact in the box. You could get strange peaks and softer notes. Or you could have a beautiful sounding speaker cabinet. Theres just no way of telling. (unless youre a sound engineer like some of the guys on the boards here)
  4. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I agree that it is very easy to pull speakers in and out of cabs.

YET, I still managed to put my thumb through a perfect vintage EV cone, and a screw through a noname 15"

I think I was drinking beer one of those times. The other, I have no excuse for.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

No, I can't. Next!! ;)
  6. if you match exactly the ohms and sensitivity of the old ones
    putting in new is not hard to do
    screw hole centres etc.
    just be careful with your solder iron and screwdriver or you may get really good at changing speakers.
    as for different makes..well i think there must be a difference ohms watts and sensitivity aside
    how good are your ears.?
    i changed a celestion for an eminence and noticed the bottom end getting better and the mids smoothing out
    but whether that is true to spec i cant say since the cab is sized for the many litres etc
    and this must be a factor along with any porting.
  7. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Yep, easiest thing in the world to do -- especially if they use clips instead of solder (even soldering is not tough).

Just swapped out the 15 in a Fender 300 combo I use last spring.

But I wouldn't mismatch different brands of speakers -- and what your impendance match.