Can you dance?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by APouncer, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Yes, I can dance, and I do.

9 vote(s)
  2. Yes, I can dance, but I don't.

3 vote(s)
  3. No, I can't dance, but I do.

7 vote(s)
  4. No, I can't dance, and I don't.

13 vote(s)
  1. APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    I was wondering if being musical equates to being able to dance. You would think so, a sense of rhythm being the most obvious reason why. However, I am aware that I move rhythmically, my limbs flail in time to music, my bottom lip gets bitten every 2 bars, and my head quavers!

However, I would emphatically say I can't dance, my movements are not smooth or pleasant to the eye and unless I am on my own/hideously drunk/in good friendly company or feeling ecstatic, I avoid the spectacle that is me dancing!

Now, for my first poll, hows about y'all?
  2. i really can't dance. i do little jigs sometimes for a laugh; course, sometimes the people around me just hang their heads in shame and start to ignore me.
  3. I can rap dance (throw up signs and grab my crotch) :D

But seriously no I cant dance, Dont really care to either, I havent been put in a situation where i have to dance yet either (im only 17) so I might have to dance later in my life, but for now I dont really care so there.
  4. I have rhythm from the waist up, that's all. :(
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I spent a fair bit of time on dance floors when I was younger, and apparently I didn't suck. But now that I've been in bands for so long I don't know what to do with my hands anymore. I end up playing air-bass which looks plain silly, especially if your playing along to a slap line.
  6. I cant dance for ****, and only do so when extremely drunk and past the point of caring, and i dont have the best sense of rhythm either :(
  7. Yes I can and I do, but not when I'm playing bass!

Apparently Chrissie Hind once said she'd never hire a bassist who didn't keep still.

Depending on how relaxed I feel I may gyrate a little on the spot, but my feet don't move very far.

Speaking of which does anybody find that when they tap their foot it slowly moves away from them and it's a struggle to get it back? Is this why so many bands you see play their basses with their legs spread eagled?? :D
  8. I can't dance, but I really really wish I could.

To the point where, if I could afford it, dancing lessons would be above bass lessons.

c'mon, I love going to latin jazz gigs, and it's just about impossible to sit still during one.... and the way the girls dance? Whoa boy!
    I wish I could join in.
  9. Hey, everyone can dance, it's called Riverdance! :rolleyes: :p

I try to dance, though I'm not really good at it, I do it to make others laugh, and my girlfriend doesn't seem to mind.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Like some kind of anti-lord of the dance.
  11. I suspect that that's more due to Rock Star Ego (not wanting the bassist to take any attention from Ms. Singer-Songwriter-Frontwoman) than any musical reasons.
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I believe I have been reffered to by that title on more than one occasion...
  13. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    the 2-step...and only learned because I had to in order to marry a Texas girl. otherwise I would have stuck with the "sway side to side" thing.
  14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    that guy takes himself very seriously for someone who's claim to fame is capering around like that. ;)
  15. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I can dance.

And sometimes I do.

But it's been a little while now.
  16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I'm so bad my girlfriend has to lead most of the time. :(