Can you do Tapping with...?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ninthwondernj, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Can you do tapping with any (well made) bass period? or are there certain specifications that the bass must have in order to tap?

P.s. Yes iam clueless
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    You can tap, slap, pluck, pick, and play any bass. They just need to be setup well.
  3. now what do u mean by setup?....
    as in what would i need to do to setup?
  4. A setup is when your bass gets adjusted to play like you want it to. A basic setup will involve adjustments of the truss rod, string height, and intonation correction. Normally you'll have new strings put on at the same time.

For tapping a low action setup with light strings is best, but you can tap with a more general setup too.
  5. Dasein

Jun 19, 2005
    I love tapping and pulling off on bass. Listen to Stu Hamm's stuff for awesome tapping. I started doing it after I heard his verson of "Linus and Lucy" on dvd my friend had.

But remember, tapping sounds like crap unless you master pulling-off. Just smashing the string down produces thin wussy notes, but when you pull-off effectively it leads into the next note with a lot more emphasis and clarity.

Les Claypool doesn't really do pull-offs too much but he doesn't so he achieves those silly sounding taps.
  6. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Its easier for tapping when the strings are setup (saddled) low closer the the fretboard, if there like more than half an inch off the fretboard its a bit of a struggle.
  7. If they're anywhere approaching half an inch you're in trouble for any kind of playing. Most people like their strings around an eighth of an inch above the frets. Some go lower; some go higher, but a quarter inch would be pushing it.