Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Macbeth56, Jan 24, 2004.

1. hello,
    i was wondering if you can put a 130 gauge on a 4 string. Like start out with 130, then 105, and so on. Someone once told me it would be 'toneless',and I also heard it would bend your neck.

i'd like this, because i have fairly small hands, and i would prbably do this on a jazz bass.
    i play in hardcore/metalcore band, so it would help me out, cause i dont ever use the bottom string, unless im fiddlin around in my room.

i know ill prolly get some just get a five string!
    i just want to know if this is possible, and if it would mess it up.
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    How are you foing to tune it? If you tune it EADG, you;re going to have ALOT of ternsion on the neck.

If you tune it BEAD, you should be fine. You might have to widen the nut slots & I suggest a Tapered B. I've done it a few times with no problems.
  3. If Im not mistaken you'd have to file your nut down, I don't know what complications there would be, then again, Im not an expert
  4. thank you!
    yeah, one time i was not paying attention while restringing my bass (not a good combination) and moved the A string down to D string.. and vise versa.. i was wondering the whole time why it wasn't going in right.. then i started to play
    and i was like wha???
    then i changed it. lol.. thanks for the replies.. keep them comin!
  5. Tune it BEAD, there's no problem.
    Tune it EADG, be sure to post pictures! :)

Seriously, it's no big deal at all.
    Just file out the nut a little to let the string slide free enough (tight fitting nuts often cause string breakage on hard played instruments, a lttle loose is better than a little tight in that case, add a little graphite (pencil) powder, to give it the full luxury treatment) and get the action right and go, go, go!

Happy bassin'!

6. thanks.
    im putting this on my cheapie bass.. the bass i do all experiments on. My OLP.
    you down with OLP?
    ya you know me?

true gangster

7. I guess the real question is how good it will sound. the pickups onyour bass are most most likely specifically designed for a regular tuned four string. A low B is pretty darn low. It's a cool thing to do anyways. I may have to try that myself on my cheap bass. right now it's strung A D G C. I realized that was kind of useless, since it only has 20 frets, and my Warwick has 24, which means that it can go almost as high.