1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can you drink the water out of the bathroom sink?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jade, Oct 26, 2006.

1. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    I think I'm one of the few weirdo's that can do it. I have no problem drinking bathroom tap water. It's the same water going into the bathroom and the kitchen.

2. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    it doens't bother me, i wake up so thirsty get a drink of water from the bathroom and go back to bed

3. I have a cup on the bathroom counter for getting a drink... as do a few people I know. I'd never considered it odd.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I drink it right out of the faucet when there is no cup there.

5. 69nites

69nites

Jul 11, 2006
    Chicago
    My hands are my cups......

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    My wife doesn't always like it when I do that... Get it...? :D

7. 69nites

69nites

Jul 11, 2006
    Chicago
    my wife's fine with whatever I do as long as I don't wake her up :ninja:

8. Duh. or is that, "Doh!" No difference. Just a little longer in a pipe getting there! I say go for it!;)

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You must not have seen the Mythbusters episode where they discovered that flushing the toilet produces an aerosol that deposits E. Coli on everything in the bathroom, including your toothbrush. I saw it, yet nonetheless, I still drink bathroom water. No, not out of the toilet, but out of the tap.

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If you're never exposed to at least a tiny bit of it, you'll never develop resistance...

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I didn't know it was weird?

12. bburk

bburk

Jul 24, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Tap water contains Fluoride. Fluoridation is a Communist plot to contaminate our precious bodily fluids. That's why I drink only pure grain alcohol and rain water.

13. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I drink bathroom water. I've never found it weird. Has anyplace been anywhere were you CAN'T drink any tap water because it'll get you sick? Naples, Italy is like that. You can't drink Naples tap water. Just a little tid bit of info if anybody ever goes to Naples. I've been there plenty of times, just make sure you get plenty of bottled water when you go.

14. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm...

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I´ve never known that it is supposed to be weird to drink water from the bathroom sink. I do it all the time.

15. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    EU
    I recall in the Mythbusters they found out that it doesn't matter where your toothbrushes are, they still have E. Coli on them. I recall they had a couple of brushes even in the kitchen.

16. E-coli is usually found in the gut anyway, usually living happily inside us and causing us no problems. Actually, I've grown E-Coli in a petri dish :D

Anyway, if you can stop the flow of water from your tap bis y putting a finger over it then it comes from a separate tank and may not be safe to drink. If, however, you can't stop the flow of water then it's from the mains and is the same water as from the kitchen tap.

Try it with the hot and cold taps - you should be able to stop the hot water with your thumb because it's from a header tank, but not the cold water because it's pressurised at the mains.

17. Depends on which strain of E-Coli you are using, ive used a few that are pretty damned nasty :p

And yeah, its fun growing them on plates isnt it, ive done it for the past 5 years :)

(we're having good fun this week, manipulating E-Coli DNA to take up a flourescense gene so we're basically producing E-Coli which glows under U-V light, done it before, but its still fun :) )

And on topic, one of the main reasons not to drink bathroom water is usually because its been sitting in house pipes, and there is more of it coming through before you get to the "fresh" supply. Doesnt really matter too much, i always have run the water for about 10-20 seconds before filing a cup with it tho, be it upstairs or down.

There was undrinkable water when i stayed further north in scotland, it was pretty horrible, in peat country and the water was all yellow/brown in colour :meh:

(And yeah, im a geek :smug: )

18. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Archie Bunker says NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edith had no problem with it though.

19. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    My dog drinks from the toilet. I asked the vet once why they do that and she said because "It tastes better!" :meh:

20. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I don't drink from the same place I pee.

:bag: