1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can you enjoy music as a non musician would ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fearceol, Mar 10, 2013.

1. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    I am just wondering how pro musicians view (hear) music casually ? What I mean is, if they go to a gig or concert to see their favourite band or artist, do they leave their musician's hat at the door and simply enjoy the music for what it is. Or are they constantly analysing the theory behind the music as it is happening.

I am far from being a pro musician. I have a basic knowledge of theory, and play bass for the sheer enjoyment of it. Granted, as a bassist myself, my attention will be on that musician in the band, to see what technique he uses etc, but generally I will enjoy the music as music, not as say a II V I etc.

The way I see it is, that music is meant to be enjoyed. It can console us when we are sad and enhance our happiness. While it is great to know the nuts and bolts of how music is made, and how to make our own, I think people are missing out on a lot of enjoyment, if they constantly "have their head under the hood, and don't stand back now and then to admire the nice shiny car". ;)

I am not saying that people actually do this. I am simply curious, and would welcome people's views and opinions.

2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Can you enjoy music as a non musician would ?

These days I can.:)

3. I know what you mean - analyzing the song instead of just enjoying it.

I do think that "knowing" too much can get in the way.

And, I (like many here, I'm sure) focus first on the bass. You know, the part that "regular" people don't even hear.

But, when a song is good - you will know "why" it is good, and maybe even enjoy it MORE than regular folk.

Double edge IMO

4. MrMeacham

MrMeacham

Nov 5, 2006
    How would I know?

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    We live in an anti-intellectual society.

Can a physicist enjoy a starry night? Can a biologist fall in love? There's a tacit assumption that too much learning spoils the fun, and that a non-intellectual experience is somehow more authentic.

But it's just an assumption. There's no reason to think that learning spoils pleasure. In fact, learning is a source of pleasure in and of itself.

6. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Years ago I read an article in Scientific American on this subject. They were able to determine that the activity in a musician's brain while listening to music was in a different area from that of a non musician. It was in a region associated with analytical processing, while the activity in a non musician's brain was in an different area.

7. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    If you can't paint or act, can you appreciate a painting or enjoy a film?

8. Melonthief

Melonthief

Jan 25, 2013
    Interesting post. I am able to listen to a song as a "fan" and be transported. When I sit down to learn the same song some of the magic goes away. Instead of being a complete piece it is now a series of notes, chords, fretboard positions etc.
    BUT when it comes time to perform it in a band situation it becomes magic again.

9. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Being a musician keeps me from liking crappy music.

10. Indeed... In fact, I might enjoy some of the more "fun" stuff out there if I could get past the fact that it's incredibly bad music.

The music I do enjoy, though, I like because I can go very deep into it and know what they're doing. I can pick out subtle things that just fly by others.

I cannot, however, turn it off and be like one of the unwashed rabble who just like a catchy hook and a pretty face...

11. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    I've found the deeper I get into playing bass the more I dissect music I don't like, so now I have a more educated opinion on why I don't like that song/band.

12. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Can you enjoy it? Yes
    Without analyzing it? Yes
    The same way a non-musician would? No

Once you have traded your ignorance for knowledge in a certain field, you have permanently altered your point of view.

... Unless you are a musical savant of some sort, then maybe

13. +1

Music is emotion for me. It allows so much more than a regular listener.

14. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    this

15. cricman

cricman

Feb 23, 2013
    West of Dallas
    Unfortunately, being a musician hasn't stopped me from listening to and often liking "crappy" music. Sometimes art is a beautiful symphony, a trumpet sonata, or a well executed bass line. Sometimes it is a vulgar, visceral, and chaotic sonic melee. Sometimes, it's just a catchy hook from a crappy top 40 song (especially from the 1970s.) All examples fully capable of expressing and evoking thought and emotion. Admit it, we all have our secret guilty pleasures!

cricman

16. Roaddog77

Roaddog77

Nov 11, 2011
    I watch and listen to the bass player more than anyone else in a band too. I do find myself analyzing the music a lot but not all the time. If a band is particularly good and I'm enjoying myself with my family or some friends it's easy to just have fun and not analyze it. On the other hand if a song is terrible or the band or one of the members is sloppy or bad it's hard not to analyze things.

I really enjoy watching a band I used to be with and I find myself analyzing their new bass players take on the songs. I find it almost impossible not to analyze the bass when a band plays a song I know or have played. I can enjoy music as much as any non musician and when it's good or bad I may know a little more about why.

17. GrayHatBass

GrayHatBass

Jan 22, 2013
    Before I picked up bass, I used to listen to a lot of pop music from the 2000s. After teaching myself and getting music lessons, my tastes expanded and I wanted complex music to satisfy the knowledge that I acquired.

18. I think all people can connect songs and the human experience. Being a musician makes us a bit of a tougher crowd to please. Ya hate to pull the snob card, but at a certain point, some music can be painful.

19. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Did you kind of miss the point? If you COULD paint, would would you be able to look at a painting and just enjoy its beauty/style, like a non-artist, or would you just look at the technique used or the use of colors or shading or whatever? If you COULD act, would you just be able to enjoy a movie, like a non-artist, or would you just analyze the actors performances, or the cinematography, or the musical score?

This I agree with.

I love to listen to music as a "fan". I know what I like and what I think is "good'' and not so much. Having said that, my wife and I like most of the same music, but usually for different reasons. I may think a song is great because it has a pleasing(to me)chord progression or, obviously, a great bass line, or just a killer groove. My wife, on the other hand, may like the same song because she likes the singers voice or the lyrics(she is starting to develop her own ideas as to what a "cool" bass line is, so that's pretty sweet...:D!). We both listen to the same song...We both LIKE the same song...We like the song for different reasons. :)

20. Astreaux

Astreaux

Aug 31, 2012
    Krutonia

+1 ^^^ This