Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can you evaluate/identify this... cello

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by artistanbul, Sep 17, 2005.

1. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    Hello. A cellist friend of mine has a cello which she has owned for 15 years. She is planning on selling it now but is clueless on evaluating and detailin the instrument. So the first thing that came to my mind was these forums.I thought double bassist and luthier fellows could help herout a little. She was told the cello was more than 200 years old. At any rate the oldest repair sticker on it is dated 1920. The instrument IS scarred but is sound and loud.

Here are some photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any information or questions regarding the matter are VERY welcome.

Moderators, if this is placed wrong, feel free to move.
    Thanks.

2. artistanbul

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    I though I should add the neck joint.

[​IMG]

oh and the bindings are embedded (inlaid) wood. Probably maple.

3. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    My son plays cello and my daughter violin, so I know a little about string instruments. Conditionwise, there are a few cracks on the top. The worst may be the ones along the right side when facing the cello. If a top cracks above the soundpost it is pretty serious and the tone will suffer. I would think at a minimum the top would need to be pulled and the cracks repaired. Your friend really should take it to a reputable repair person for an evaluation.

4. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    Definately looks old. I would also ask over here for some info on it, may help. If it were mine I'd take it to a reputable Luthier who deals in 'cellos to get an appraisal, and see if any work needs to be done on it.

5. artistanbul

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    matt thanks a lot for directing me.
    clink it has been done. they can not help much here in Turkey.