1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can you fry a preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Is it possible to fry a preamp by accidentally reversing the polarity on the 9V battery for a second?
    My eyes are not what they used to be and I'm wondering if I should be wearing my glasses when I switch batteries.I have Sadowskys and Aguilars in my basses.

2. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    Of course, a little olive oil, medium heat, oh wait a minute, that's not what you meant!

Most decent pres are set up with some protection for this kind of thing as you wouldn't be the only person to do this. It would be very expensive if they had to replace or fix all the pres that would get toasted if there were a real danger. I would say that to be safe, just make sure the bass is unplugged (ie the battery is disconnected) when you replace your batteries.

Carry on!
    Edwin

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Im sure you could, but I doubt it'd taste very good.

4. I guess was asking for that:)
    I had a Noll preamp in my bass about a year ago and tried to push the battery on backwards for a second.I eventually got it right, but the preamp was dead.
    Noll offered to replace it but after that I didn't want it anymore and bought another Sadowsky.I was thinking, there really should be some kind of safeguard in preamps for that.
    I have burned out a Sadowsky preamp before but I don't know what caused it and since the circuit board is coated in black, it could not get fixed and I had to toss it. But that was years ago and I have not had a problem with Sadowsky's since.

5. There SHOULD be a safeguard against that in ANY DC powered device. It's a simple two cent diode... or less in volume.